1976 mercury 1150 stalling when lake but not with clam shells

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Blowing air into the sparkplug holes does nothing as the air blows out exhaust ports to take the dust off your boots.----And you need to research where the reed valves are and what they do.-----And no they just do not stick open.------Bugler instead of guessing about your motor , post what your motor is doing / not doing !

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Wondering at this point if it might be an issue with reed valves inside the power head. Is there an easy way to test that these are working properly and not getting stuck? Might be a dumb idea but Since they are basically just a one way valve can you just set the piston to bottom dead center and blow in the spark plug hole and if you can’t blow in that means it’s closing properly...?

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Posts about reed valves by the Bugler just proves that many folks are baffled by the way a 2 stroke works !

bugelingkayaker

Seaman Apprentice
Hijack alert!

bugelingkayaker Yeah, it's you. Start your own thread.

Wasn’t trying to hijack. I was about to make my own but then saw this thread and realized he’s having the same issue after having taken the same steps as me with a motor that is very similar to mine. Figured it would be redundant to make a new one but if it would be more helpful to everyone I will.

and yeah I’m still new to working on outboards.. everything I’ve learned I’ve done so over the past month by reading this forum and others, watching videos, and pouring through the manual and then coming back to this forum or others when I hit something I don’t understand. Still have a lot to learn but hey I’m trying. Would rather make a dumb comment here and get called out than do a dumb thing to my motor.

anyways to get back on track, to the original poster, still curious where you are at with it now

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The only thing similar is you both have Merc outboards. You are hijacking and if you don't start a thread of your own, I'll do it for you.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I have not done anything with the distributer yet.

Have you confirmed you have 6 good sparks, and that each cylinder is 'unloading' evenly?

Pull each plug lead off in turn and note how much the engine speed drops. It should be about 50-100 rpm, but the same for each cylinder.

Chris......
(a different 'Chris')

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
To be fair, a '73 Merc 850 is a 4 cylinder version of the '76 Merc IL6. They share ignition systems, carbs midsections, charging systems and can share gearcases, although they have different gear ratios.

Electrical tape will probably not stop spark plug wire arcing. If you want to fix it for testing, put a rubber hose over it. That might fix it for a while.

Reed valves on those motors rarely (if ever) fail. Most issues are caused by dirty carbs, mis-adjusted carbs, inaccurate ign timing, faulty wiring on those oldies, water infiltration and lack of maintenance.