1976 HyRyder trihull, starting over

slimersoup

Recruit
Hi, first time poster. Bought a 1976 15' Hyryder a few weeks ago, it looked pretty good and the price was right. Put my 1977 Evinrude 85 on it and have had it out a few times, maybe 6-8 hours total. Got back from the river the other day and noticed significant cracks in the splashwell. Anyway took it all apart to replace the transom and now I'm in it for a deck, stringers, some foam, and maybe some reinforcement.

The old stringers were just one layer of glass mat, not even completely wetted out stuck on top of some 3/8 rotten wood that was attached to the top of the hull with what looks like double sided duct tape. The stringers were hollow with a piece of 3/4" by 2" ply inside the top to screw the deck to. The hull is pretty thin, not much over 1/8". The only foam left was in the front portion of the keel.

Almost empty shell.jpgHull backing removal.jpgIntact hull backing.jpgOld backing.jpgStringer crosssection.jpg

I have been reading on here and am pretty comfortable with putting in new (real) stringers and transom. My big question is without the 3/8" of wood backing (looked like balsa cut in a bunch of 2" by 4" rectangles) what do I need to do to make sure the hull is strong enough? Lay down some more mat? Or is pourable foam enough?

Sorry no before pics. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but hopefully somebody can get me headed in the right direction. Thanks!