1976 Evinrude 9.9 Project

Yooks

Cadet
Hi there. I recently purchased a 1976 Evinrude 9.9 and I'd like to get your thoughts on what I might do to rehab it. The motor is a little rough. It was run quite a lot by the previous owner, mainly for trolling. The engine didn't have a zinc anode on it when I picked it up. The fuel pump and fuel lines were replaced about 4 years ago, as was the impeller.

The previous owner is getting on in years and finally stopped using the engine about 3 years ago when it stopped starting on the 1st or 2nd pull and started on the 4th pull. It's been sitting in his garage covered in dog hair ever since. I only paid $250 for it, so I figure at the very least it's worth it for educational purposes.

I've checked the compression on the motor and it's about 90-95 psi from one cylinder to another. From what I hear, that's not too bad. My first attempt to start the engine started on the 4th pull and ran for about a minute. I needed to keep the choke on to keep it running. No water was coming out of the prop initially. Once the engine came up to about 150 deg F, water started spewing from around the prop, so it sounds like the thermostat is working. Finally after about a minute it just died and wouldn't start again. I sprayed carb cleaner in the barrel and let it sit for a day. It started up briefly again, but then wouldn't. I suspect that the carb is all gummed up and needs a good cleaning.

Which brings me to the point of this email. It'd like to solicit opinions on how I should go about rehabbing it. I have no pressing need for it in the near term. I plan to build a small planing dinghy which will require a motor of this size, but that's years down the road. So I have plenty of time to work on this motor. Having said that, I don't want to make it my life's labor either...

I've purchased a service manual and will use that to work on the engine. I've also been looking through Leeroy's Rambling and the videos from YouTube by cpgixxer. Both of these resources are excellent and I'd like to thank you for your effort putting those together.

Here are a few of the things I can see that need to be done. First, it appears that the top seal is blown. As you can see from this picture, there is oil spread around along the same plane as the flywheel. I suspect that this oil originated from the top seal.

View attachment 169450

Second, the screws at the top of the exhaust housing are very rusted. I'd like to replace those. In the process, it would give me an opportunity to inspect the exhaust housing.

Third, the paint on the power head is peeling off in placed, and some of the bolts by-pass cover, exhaust cover, and water cover are rusted. The lower ignition coil is cracked and generally looking sad.

View attachment 169460

The tiller is loose, where it attaches to the strong bracket. I'll need to tighten that somehow. And the prior owner also said that the tiller gears weren't messing because the washer had warn. So he put a clip in to take up the slack in the works. The gears do mesh well now, but I'd like to make a better fix to this.

View attachment 169463View attachment 169464

I'll need to inspect the water pump of course.

And finally, I'd like to sand and paint the exterior of the motor.

So where do you suggest I start from a disassembly standpoint? Where possible, I'd like to avoid unnecessarily disassembling components (like the manual starter, for example), but I'd also like to break the motor down to the point that I can take a look at the workings of the engine and ferret out any problems that are waiting to happen.

Should I start by removing the lower unit, then remove the exhaust housing, then remove the power head from the lower motor cover? The Service Manual is excellent but it tends to give instructions on how to attach specific problems without disassembling the entire motor. Given that disassembly is a foregone conclusion, how do you suggest I proceed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Jonathan

Rick.

Captain
Re: 1976 Evinrude 9.9 Project

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086
Have a look at this from the Top Secret File at the beginning of this forum. Lots of other good info. there as well. Don't be too concerned about the tiller gears. They are a poor design and I've yet to find a motor without a lot of slack in them. If they are working that is really all that matters IMO.
Best of luck. Rick.

2manband

Seaman

I have a hard time on my 75 9.9 telling when water starts coming from the prop because it's always submerged in a trash can for testing. The blubber hole - a dime sized opening about 2/3 of the way up the exhaust housing - should start to spit a good amount of water when the thermostat opens. Is that happening with yours?

It's important to make sure the motor isn't overheating before you do much more testing - it's really not safe to run it without proper water circulation.

I rehabbed mine earlier this year and it's running great. I did new fuel lines, plugs, a carb rebuild kit, new thermostat, and a water pump rebuild kit. Total parts cost was around $50 or $60. I was lucky because the previous owner had new ignition coils installed a few years before I bought it, but if yours still has the original ignition, that might merit some investigation as well.

Yooks

Cadet

Thanks for the replies.

That's good to know on the tiller gears. I'll keep my expectations low. :)

As for the thermostat opening, the only times I've run the engine it's been on muffs. There was no water coming from the blubber hole. I assume that only happens when the motor is in the water, or in a tank, no?

I believe the thermostat is working because there was no water coming from around the prop for the first few minutes. Then once the engine came up to about 150 F, water started flinging out. I was using an infrared thermometer to keep an eye on the engine temp.

So I guess what I'll do it replace the top seam while the motor is still in one piece. After that I'll remove the lower unit, then the exhaust housing and the lower cowl from the power head. From there I'll have access to the whole motor for inspection and painting. I hope by taking this approach that I won't have to remove the manual starter to service the carb.

Thanks again.

Jonathan

Rick.

Captain

I only ever use a barrel with the small engines so can't really say what to expect on muffs but your thermometer would indicate all is well. I think you will need to remove the recoil to get the carb. nut off. If your very careful and have a 3/8 standard thread nut handy you can keep it from uncoiling (hopefully). Just keep it held tightly together. Not sure what you mean by replacing the top seam? Your compression numbers are IMO just fine so you have a good engine to dress up with paint/parts/etc. Rick.

Yooks

Cadet

Thanks Rick. I meant to write "top seal". There is a thin line of oil that is splattered all along the inside of the upper cowl, right at the level of the flywheel. I take that to mean the top seal is leaking. This may be why the prior owner complained that the engine wasn't starting as easily lately. I figured i would remove the flywheel and replace that seal.

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've rehabbed plenty of these this year. Replaced pistons, you name it. Know them inside and out.
Take the recoil off, then you can get to the nut holding the carb on for that side. Clean it out good with air and brake cleaner. Scrape all the gunk out of the carb.

Here's a couple pics of the ones I have restored and sold.

Painting is all in the prep. Take your time.

Attachments

• 147.jpg
    147.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC04379.jpg
    DSC04379.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 0

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry about the off topic comment, but in 40 years, i have never heard of the "blubber hole". Learn something new every day i guess.