1976 evinrude 15 hp not opening up when full throttled...please help!

Joshua2

Cadet
I have a 76 15hp evinrude and everything is good like starting up fine and idles pretty good but when I give it full throttle it barely goes...and sometimes after a oil bit just barely going at full throttle it will just kick in and take off but took it out today and it never kicked in so I'm trying to fix it but I don't know where to start please help thanks in advance!

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1976 evinrude 15 hp not opening up when full throttled...please help!

Have you taken the carb apart and really cleaned out the jets and all passages? Also, need to check compression and spark.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I would start by checking the spark.
You could use a timing light or remove the plug wires one at a time to see if it makes any difference in the way the engine runs.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Time for a complete tuneup. Sounds as tho your only running on one cyclender because of the points, condenser, plugs, coil, or plug wire going bad.

Joshua2

Cadet

Well haven't done anything yet but the spark plugs were real dirty...took it out today and forgot about pulling the spark plug wires and I haven't messed with the carb yet... I was trying to figure out what it might be before I start taking stuff apart but gotta do the process of elimination thing I guess.

Joshua2

Cadet

Well I haven't got on it yet ordering parts but I noticed oil coming from under the flywheel I think but not sure what or why and how to fix it? Thank y'all for the help!

Rick.

Captain

Better pull the flywheel. If you have oil residue on the points it will run like crap. Best of luck. Rick.

Joshua2

Cadet

Ok so could that be the reason why it won't open up when full throttled... Dirty points? Because it was running good the other day and just all of sudden it started not to open up all the way... But is it hard to replace that seal under there?

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

I wouldn't get ahead of myself. You don't even know what is wrong with it yet. If it were me, I would first do an external spark test to ensure that the ignition can put out a spark that can jump a 3/8" gap, and more importantly that both cylinders are firing. Now if one is not firing (as I suspect), I would switch the clips that go to the coils from under the flywheel. They are just behind the flywheel and easily accessable. Run the spark test again and see if the lost spark is on the same plug boot or now on the other. If it is the same boot then you now know it is a bad coil. If lost spark is now on the other boot then your coils are fine and you have lost spark somewhere up in the flywheel (probably dirty points).

If you are getting good spark on both plugs (jumping 3/8" gap) then fire it back up in a barrel and try pulling (with insulated plyers) one spark plug boot at a time, to verify that it is running on both cylinders. If it is, then look towards your carburetor for the problem, but if it is not (which I suspect) then you most likely have a mechnical problem in one cylinder. Low compression, bad leaf valve, poor crankcase seal, fuel flooding from fuel pump, etc. To verify this, while running pull a plug boot on one cylinder. If it keeps running, put it back on and then pull the other spark plug boot. If the motor dies, when one plug is pulled, it tells you that the other cylinder was the only one working. Since we already tested for good spark, it almost has to be mechanical or carb related. To verify even further, connect up the spark plug boots AND the coil clips to opposite cylinders. Now run the motor and pull each plug boot at a time. If the problem cylinder moves to the other cylinder, then it is ignition related and if it stays on the same cylinder it is probably mechanical in nature or the spark plug itself.

That is what I would do.

Rick.

Captain

" If it keeps running, put it back on and then pull the other spark plug boot. If the motor dies, when one plug is pulled, it tells you that the other cylinder was the only one working. "
I think this is backward. if it dies when a plug wire is pulled that is the cylinder that is working. Re pulling the flywheel. It's a chicken and egg thing. If your points are oily it will affect spark and its a 1/2 hour to pull it and check gap and clean them. OptsyEagle is giving you good direction though. It is seldom just one issue that needs checking. Rick.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Thanks Rick. You are correct.

Joshua2

Cadet

I sure do appreciate y'alls help.. I got spark on the top and no spark on the bottom...switched the clips and still the same thing so that means bad coil right? So ordered a coil but Just wondering but let's say the motor is running fine what would happen if the clips were swapped and left like that would it run the same or not?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

It should run just fine, but will mess up the next guy when he goes to work on it. Number one piston should always be on the top piston but will now bw on the bottom. In effect you will have changed the coil poistions on the armiture plate and will realy mess up ones mind when working on the motor. Best is to switch the wires back to the manufactures spec if you have not done so yet. JMO
Oldman570

Joshua2

Cadet

Oh ok the reason why is when I switch the wire clips headed to the coils I figured out that spark was the same so put plugs and boots back on and put the tools up and I couldn't remember if I swapped the clips back but I really think I did but that made me wonder well what would happen if I didn't.. I thought maybe the firing would be off from timing because a certain is susposed to fire at a certain time right but Im lost when it comes to motors, welding is my thing lol

Rick.

Captain

I sure do appreciate y'alls help.. I got spark on the top and no spark on the bottom...switched the clips and still the same thing so that means bad coil right? So ordered a coil but Just wondering but let's say the motor is running fine what would happen if the clips were swapped and left like that would it run the same or not?
It doesn't mean for sure it's the coil but it might be. Rick.

Joshua2

Cadet

Well good news I changed the coil and spark plug wire but tried to crank it and it wouldnt crank it was just back firing a little and guess what i had the clips that go to the coils backwards lol so i swapped them and it fired right up but got my spark back so things should be good but ima go try it out tomorrow after work but I wanted to say thanks to all of y'all for y'alls time and very helpful advice and directions lol saved me money and I learned a lil something so I'm happy but thanks again yall!!!

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

You were correct in your earlier assumption that if you just switch the coil clips the motor will not run. That is because, although you will still get a spark, it will happen when the cylinder is in the bottom dead center position instead of where it should be at top dead center with a combustion chamber full of compressed gas. That is why I mentioned in one of my tests to switch the spark plug boots AND the coil clips to run the motor.

I should have also mentioned that it can be helpful to number your write top and bottom on your coil clips before you start switching them around. Oh well. The motor will always tell you when you get them wrong, but only after about 6 pulls of the rip cord accompanied by a dislocated shoulder.

Joshua2

Cadet

Took it out and it ran just fine but then I thought I blew the thing up because it just shut down and started blowing steam out the Water spray hole ... I was heart broken!! I let it sit for a few minutes then it ran just fine I thought the water pump line got stopped up somewhere and it got too hot because after it shut down and started spewing steam out the water hole I let cool down and then it was running just fine but it was spraying more water than I have seen this motor spray before so I'm guess that it unclogged it somewhere but I'm still m

Joshua2

Cadet

Took it out and it ran just fine but then I thought I blew the thing up because it just shut down and started blowing steam out the Water spray hole ... I was heart broken!! I let it sit for a few minutes then it ran just fine I thought the water pump line got stopped up somewhere and it got too hot because after it shut down and started spewing steam out the water hole I let cool down and then it was running just fine but it was spraying more water than I have seen this motor spray before so I'm guess that it unclogged it somewhere but I'm still not sure what happen but it ran fine afterwards though!! I wa unheard broken at the end lol

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't assume all's well now after that steam incident though. ;) I would check the thermostat at least.