1976 Evinrude 115 trim won't go up

jackson2

Recruit
I have a 1976 115 engine that is running great, but the trim has issues. It appears to be a Calco pump (I have not seen a name or model number), as there are no fins on the reservoir. Here are my observations:

-I've checked the switch, and the leads had corrosion, so I've shorted out the wires directly with a jumper wire (red to green, red to blue)
-The unit will make noise and lower, but it not raise. (red shorted to green)
-The unit makes no noise and does not raise (red shorted to blue); the jump wire does not spark nor heat up like when I short the other pair
-The starboard piston does leak a little, but no dripping...just a film on the piston (port side piston is dry on the exterior)
-I have replaced the solenoid with no change
-When I took off the top to look at the motor, I noticed that one brush is about half the size of the other.
-I have attempted to drain/fill the system, as the fluid was a milky mess; no change
-The last time the unit was fully operational, the main trim switch stopped working, but the front trim switch worked; then the front quit working as well

Anyone have any ideas? I know I need to replace the o-rings/seals on the leaky piston, but I would think that it should still be making noise & be able to raise, just not hold (if the leak was bad enough).

Thanks,

Jackson

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 0