1976 70hp flywheel rub on cowl

rmengel

Recruit
Hey all,

I have a really clean good running 1976 Evinrude 70 that at certain RPMs has a slight rub on the inside of the cowl. Any ideas what might be causing such a thing? The cowl is in excellent condition and has no visible deformity.

Curious if anyone else has seen this issue.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats
It it the actual Fiberglass, or just the Sponge that is glued to the cowl. Also where, the side, or the top? It wouldn't rub for long as the Glass isn't very thick.

rmengel

Recruit
Hard to say but I think it's some baffling up in the cowl. I'm very surprised that it hasn't worn it's way through whatever it's rubbing on by now. The engine and boat are new to me but I have about 15 hours on it and you'd think that would be enough.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A bit of glue will restick the stuff, better yet, just remove any loose pieces, as you really don't want the engine inhaling any of the stuff,

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Working on a V-4 for a dealer , had cowling foam stuck in the reed valves.

tphoyt

Ensign
When I find them failing I remove it all and replace it with automotive sound proofing mat. It’s self adhesive and works great.
Can you see where it’s been rubbing?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Mounts for the lower cowling in place and tight ?-----Mounts for the upper cowling in place ?-----Is sound blanket ( foam ) loose ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No just in the reed valves.-----Motor had one bad piston.-----Replacing the block.-----Will tear that power head apart over winter.