1976 25 HP Evinrude

AFlowers

Seaman
Gentlemen,

I have been searching the threads for several days trying to find the answer but no dice. I have been trying to get my outboard tuned. For a short background, I rebuilt the carb and put new plugs in it. She ran like a champ for about a month. Prior to that, she bogged at WOT.

Recently, She'll run really good for about ten minutes and start to miss, then die, and have to let her sit for a while before she'll start again. I noticed the bottom coil was cracked, so I have them on order. Last night, I fired it up, and removed the top plug wire and the engine idle fell off and started missing. Kind of what I expected. However, When I removed the bottom wire (the one that has the cracked coil), the engine dies.

What does this mean, I remember seeing where people suggested doing it, but I can't find the posts and don't remember what it tested for. Also, the top wire, does not produce a strong spark. It doesn't leap very far, The bottom one that is cracked, will leap about a half inch.

Also, there appears to be oil coming out of the spark plug holes. Is that normal?

Thanks, Any help will be appreciated.

Aaron

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1976 25 HP Evinrude

read the top sticky and go step by step.

AFlowers

Seaman

Are you talking about the one in the "Top Secret" Section?

That addresses the ignition coil under the fly wheel. I'm talking about the coils that the plug wires come out of.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

it means your bottom cylinder is doing more to keep the engine running than the top cylinder.

Start with a compression test. Then do a spark test on each coil wire - should see a healthy blue spark.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

sometimes the forums are difficult to navigate, but if you look carefully... there is a lot of great info here and especially great info condensed in the top sticky, between the top sticky and your motor and common sense a lot can be solved. just do it.

sterndrive's closing quote on the bottom is pretty open and optimistic, but i tend to side with get er' done. For example, if your coils are cracked and the spark is weak common sense would be to change it out and then post "later" if your havin problems. good luck.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Getting back to your question: That model is a bit peculiar. In an effort to reduce discharges into the water, the crankcase drain is piped into the top cylinder, supposedly for burning of the drainage. In reality, about all it does is make the motor run poorly at idle, because the top cylinder runs richer than the bottom one. Hey, that's the way they built it back then.