1975 Mercury 1150 won't start

Chevy863

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 15, 2008
Messages
5
Hi everybody I'm new to this forum and wanted to see if someone would know what the problem is with my 1975 1150 Mercury.

One day while I was out on the boat the engine started to bog down until it just died. It would not start anymore after that. I have checked the fuel pump and it's pumping fuel fine. All of the carbs are getting fuel. I also checked the spark plugs and they have spark. Is there something I'm missing here? Could it be because I used 87 octane gas with a 50:1 oil mix? Thanks in advanced to anyone that can help.
 

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Jun 1, 2001
Messages
1,686
Re: 1975 Mercury 1150 won't start

Your gas and oils should be fine.


If I were to examine it I might

Check compression

Check for spark

Squirt a bit of fuel mix in a few cylinders crank it and see if it tries to run.

If it does I'd do some serious chokeing and get it started.
 

Chevy863

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 15, 2008
Messages
5
Re: 1975 Mercury 1150 won't start

Thanks Yepblaze. I did squirt some fuel mix into the cylinders and it still wouldn't catch and I did check the spark and everything was fine there so I guess my next step is to check the compression.
 

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Mar 25, 2001
Messages
45,907
Re: 1975 Mercury 1150 won't start

Check spark timing.
 

Chevy863

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 15, 2008
Messages
5
Re: 1975 Mercury 1150 won't start

I checked the compression and that was fine. I had 120 in all of the cylinders. I also checked the timing and that was correct also. Could this just be the Carbs need to be rebuilt?
 

Chris1956

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 25, 2004
Messages
29,216
Re: 1975 Mercury 1150 won't start

Normally the motor will start if you spray some 50::1 into the carb throats and close the choke. If it runs for 5 sec and quits, it is likely the carbs are very gummed up.
 

Chevy863

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 15, 2008
Messages
5
Re: 1975 Mercury 1150 won't start

Thanks everybody for your help.I ended up pulling the carbs and rebuilding them. Now it starts without a problem.
 
Top