1975 Johnson Stinger

Stinger75

Cadet
Re: 1975 Johnson Stinger

Evinrude Hustler 75/Johnson Stinger 75. This is an old post but the answers given are not the best. First, the motor is a 'classic', not an antique. Antiques were made prior to 1950 and look like plumbing, classics run about 1950-2000. The OMC 75 was raced 1975-about 1986, then was replaced by a 56.6 c.i. model. There are a lot of these motors around but they're in some old racer's garage, not advertised for sale. I just paid $350 for a 1979 model with ruined block, the kid had bought it, never run it, and wanted out of it. Fortunately, I have a block. The idea of (average or most probable) 'value' is not meaningful because there's too little demand. I would pay $1000 for one in perfect shape (nothing worn out except waterpump, block has not been rebored, or honed more than +.0025" oversize-more than that generally requires reboring). The racing class became defunct around 1988, and AOMCI members don't know the motor well enough to want to collect it, that's why the demand is nearly zero. I raced the motor 1977-85. My 19 yr. old son saw an old 14' Allison I once drove and 'had' to have it so we found a motor to go with it. Parts are readily available for this motor, as they are for any OMC 1968-2000.

Johnson Classic tech leader
AOMCI
Thank You for your response. Was the most informative I recieved.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These motor were for light boats with a 15" transom.-----They also used the 2 cylinder lower unit.-----A smaller lower unit and not considered robust at all.-----So not durable to be used on a heavy boat for hr after hr of hard work.------There are people looking for these and E-bay / craiglist is the place.-----If new in the box you might start with asking for $5000 and see what interest you get.

Stinger75

Cadet

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0395.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0395.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 18
  • thumbnail_IMG_0396.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0396.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 19
  • thumbnail_IMG_0399 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0399 (1).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 19
  • thumbnail_IMG_0410.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0410.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 18
  • thumbnail_IMG_0403.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0403.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 20
  • thumbnail_IMG_0417.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0417.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 19

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That a 20" motor with big gearcase. Made for fishermen who wanted a lil extra on a heavy boat. Just a standard 75 with higher compression head ,orange paint, decals and marketing. The short shaft is the desirable one has the same as above but with nitro gearcase and for small light boats.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Yeah the 15" models used a smaller Case than the 20"ers. At 1.5 hp/cubic inch, the 75 was really pushing the limits when it came to an Outboard that could be used for all around boating. Mercury's I6 150hp was the same, great top end, but a bit mushy at the lower rpms. As mentioned above, fine on Light hulls, but not the best choice on heavier Hulls

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Old outboards--even antique outboards are not like classic or antique cars. They do not usually hold value or increase--unless it is the first Evinrude ever made or something unique like that.

Since almost NO hulls are made today of a size to use that engine with a 15 inch transom, the engine's value is not much except to someone who is restoring an old 15 inch transom boat, an Evinrude collector, or someone who wishes to use a jackplate.

If it is indeed brand new--never used, don't use it, and try for a collector sale. Otherwise, if it has been lightly run and stored, use it yourself if you have an application for it.
its a 20''. saw his pics on scream and fly

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well thank you sir for your time and advice. I never really thought of it as an antique but suppose it is. I guess I will hold onto it for a while more. I'm really not enthused with the thought of having to tear it down anyway.:eek:
i would certainly put a borescope down the cylinders to make sure they didnt rust. if they are clean, squirt a whole bunch of tcw3 oil down them and turn it over a bunch. that will ensure it stays in perfect shape. head gasket, impeller and any other rubber that is dry-rotted needs to get replaced.