1975 evinrude 115 Crankshaft center bearing replacement

jammer777

Seaman
hey guys been a while since i posted, but i have a question, I found that the center bearing on my crankshaft the split sleeve one is binding and not rolling properly and needs to be replaced, i think i found the replacement part 0310433 but cant really find any info on replacing the part, and see some info online indicating that some of the bearings are meant to not be replaced and you have to replace the whole crankshaft

Any of you have any pointers, procedures, tips, or any general info you can pass my way on replacing this bearing or if im hosed or what, (i cant find my service manaual at this time or else i would have consulted that first)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Crankshaft needs to be replaced if there is any damage on it.-----Lots of good used ones are available if you take the time to look / know where to look.

jammer777

Seaman
i dont know if there is any damage, i just know the bearing is shot, do you guys have any pointers in getting that center bearing off? do i have to take the whole crankshaft off? and racerone can you point me in the right direction of where to look?

thanks so much!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??------The springy clip in the groove holds the bearing together for assembly.------You can lift the crank clear of the block if rods are still on it to remove that bearing.------Or remove the crank and remove that clip and the bearing falls off.----Find a list of salvage places on this website ( possibly not up to date )--I have a number of them but you are likely too far away to come pick one up.

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Very rare for that bearing to go bad and not take the crankshaft with it. Check the crankshaft closely...

interalian

Commander
My question would be how can you tell there's a problem with the center bearing? It's kinda buried in the crank case. The motor the pictured bearing came from had run like that for years for another owner until he overheated it and broke rings. I found it on teardown to use the block on my project.

jammer777

Seaman
so basically i had a shop seat the piston for me and they were supposed to have aligned everything for me, i didnt do the checks i needed to and i in my haste put the head back on without checking if it was lined back up, and it popped when i put the head back on, took it all apart again and it pretty much looks like your pics above, i yanked it all apart and sure as hell its destroyed, but didnt make a mark on the crank thank goodness for that, new bearing and roller bearings ordered and try number 2 in a few days, lol, thats what i get for not taking my time!

interalian

Commander
Oh, I see. When you say "head", you mean the front half of the crank case. If you bolted it down with the dowel misaligned to the bearing hole it's likely the dowel has been pressed into the block. Check and make sure it protrudes at least half the thickness of the bearing shell. If not, you'll need to jack the dowel out and replace. It's a $5 part but machine shop will charge you 10x that at least to remove the old one (ask me how I know).

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
I'm concerned about the wear shadow on the face of the outer bearing race. Likely that same wear shadow is also on the matching crank journal.

interalian

Commander
I'm concerned about the wear shadow on the face of the outer bearing race. Likely that same wear shadow is also on the matching crank journal.

These are pictures from my '79 donor motor, not the OP's. OP's doens't sound like it ran with the problem for long, crank may be unscathed. For completeness, here's what the crank looked like:

jammer777

Seaman
Ya you bet guys, i never actually ran mine with the damaged bearing, i just hear it snap when putting it all back together, my engine doesn't have any of the scoring marks, however i think the dowel may be pushed in a little bit, im goingg to head out the garage and have a look here. thanks so much for all the help guys, i really , really appreciate it as always!

jammer777

Seaman
Very nice! over here in Vernon BC , i might go to the lake myself, to watch the other boats! hahahaha have fun out there!