1975 Chris Craft Lancer 19'

AussieB

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Guys,

Quick intro....Yes I'm an Aussie, stranded on the shore of the East Coast USA....

New to power boats but have had a sailboat in the past. Restore muscle cars for fun (currently have 6) and figured I don't have enough projects so I would get myself a boat! Have worked on and around the water for 30yrs.

So just picked up this boat. Unfortunately for the previous owner he is no longer with us. Unfortunately for me I purchased a modified boat and know bugger all about it. PO brother sold it and didn't have much info.

Really solid hull which has been poorly painted and will need doing. Will wait till next winter for this as I'm sure my girlfriend and I will scratch the paint whilst we get our launching routine sorted. Interior also needs doing and I'm going to pull up the floor. Luckily Lancers don't have wood in their stringers, it's all fiberglass, so I have read.

Has a 383 which I was told was 620hp. Seems a little far fetched to me but it does have a healthy idle/lope. Has a Victor jr manifold and roller rockers in the heads. The PO was a motor mechanic/engine builder.

Also has Bennet hydraulic trim tabs which I am surprised at seeing it has a deep V hull and a very good reputation which leads me to think that the engine must be pretty healthy to warrant them on a 19' boat.

Has a HEI distributor on it, not marine approved. From my research it seems Mallory does a pretty good distributor/coil so think I am going to get them, unless someone tells me different.

Also ordered a starter and alternator from db electrical as both those items were auto items.

Long intro! :)

AussieB

Seaman Apprentice
So I also purchased a 83 Four Winns Liberator 201 the day before I got my Lancer. Basically got it for the Galv trailer and teak swim platform. Though have ended up grabbing a bunch of stuff off it.

It has a merc 260hp engine and power steering. As in the engine driven pump. I think it has an Alpha drive.

Will the power steering ram easily convert to my Volvo/Penta drive?

Do you think I need power steering on my 19 footer?

I have read a few posts about the Volvo's(manual steering) having poor steering at lower speeds and wander a bit.

I realise I can get the boat on the water and see how it goes but seeing I'm doing all the work I am I would rather bang it all out.

AussieB

Seaman Apprentice
Pulled out most of the interior today. Ripped up the carpet that was covering the original vinyl flooring. Am going to need to replace the rear 2 sheets of flooring as they are toast.

Surprised from the factory that the plywood wasn't coated and more surprised that the floor isn't in worse condition.

Had a mechanical fuel pump turn up today(Airtex) and have to return it. Where the ports are the fitting for the gas hose would be going right into the block. I disassembled it to rotate the base but due to the way the screws alternate top/bottom it would not work out.

But I also did not have the fuel pump rod as the boat came with a holley electric pump. Seeing this is the first chevy engine I've worked on I had know idea I even needed it, as Ford pumps have a longer arm which goes into the block.

New alternator,starter and fuel pump turn up tomorrow. Have to order exhaust manifolds as they have cracks due to not being winterized.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Cool looking boat. Can't help with your specific questions but I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers.................Todd

AussieB

Seaman Apprentice
[No message]

Attachments

• photo289020.jpg
    photo289020.jpg
    844.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo289021.jpg
    photo289021.jpg
    823.3 KB · Views: 1

AussieB

Seaman Apprentice
[No message]

Attachments

• photo289022.jpg
    photo289022.jpg
    882.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo289023.jpg
    photo289023.jpg
    924.5 KB · Views: 0

johnffrias

Recruit
I just stumbled across this post.
I also Have a 19' Lancer, 1971, that I'm restoring. Keep us posted with more progress pics.