1975 brownng aerocraft fishmaster transum repair?????????????

chef master

Cadet
i have a 75 aerocraft fishmaster 16 ft deep V aluminum oat and have to replace the transom is there anyone out there that can help me out and tell me how to take the old one out and put a new one in? there is a metal strip rivited in that i can take off on top of the transom but about 3-4 in on both sides that the transom that is aluminum any help out there or good advice

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1975 brownng aerocraft fishmaster transum repair?????????????

i have a 75 aerocraft fishmaster 16 ft deep V aluminum oat and have to replace the transom is there anyone out there that can help me out and tell me how to take the old one out and put a new one in? there is a metal strip rivited in that i can take off on top of the transom but about 3-4 in on both sides that the transom that is aluminum any help out there or good advice

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... How 'bout some Pictures, so We can see, what yer seein'....

chef master

Cadet

DSCF6724.jpg

DSCF6724.jpg
DSCF6726.jpg

DSCF6726.jpg
DSCF6723.jpg

on the ends of the transom is the aluminum and nts completley conected to the outside aluminum of the transom and the inside splash well? where water draines out is also connected to the transom

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome chef, nice AeroCraft you've got there:)

The corner caps will need to be removed, then remove the trim piece as well.

It's most likely similar to a Starcraft transom design, maybe check out some photos for an idea what to expect. There are a ton of Starcraft aluminum boat restorations and the transom is not too bad.

Make sure NOT to get treated plywood, epoxy resin is good to seal the wood and make the new transom last a long time.:)

chef master

Cadet

It's most likely similar to a Starcraft transom design, maybe check out some photos for an idea what to expect. There are a ton of Starcraft aluminum boat restorations and the transom is not too bad.

Make sure NOT to get treated plywood, epoxy resin is good to seal the wood and make the new transom last a long time.:)

i removed the corner caps but the aluminum is connected you cant see the wood transom unless you look in the boat even with the caps offall i can see it the aluminum one of my picts is the side with the cap off
DSCF6723.jpg

chef master

Cadet

also how to i connect the plywood to the aluminum

Bondo

Staff member

i removed the corner caps but the aluminum is connected
also how to i connect the plywood to the aluminum

Ayuh,....1st thing ya gotta do is get the Motor off it,...
Then the trim piece under the motor, across the top...
And, of course, Everything screw or bolted to the transom, inside, 'n out....

By then it should be gettin' more obvious as to how to get the wood out....
It may take surgery,... good news is aluminum cuts easily with wood workin' blades....

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

I just did a 1976 fishmaster 18' I had to cut the top of the gunwale back 2" and reweld it in order to get the transom out, otherwise you have to remove the whole cap to get it out, they are not very friendly for getting the splashwell out, and the transom end caps will not cover the cut. I believe you will have to drill out two rivets also. Good luck

chef master

Cadet

I just did a 1976 fishmaster 18' I had to cut the top of the gunwale back 2" and reweld it in order to get the transom out, otherwise you have to remove the whole cap to get it out, they are not very friendly for getting the splashwell out, and the transom end caps will not cover the cut. I believe you will have to drill out two rivets also. Good luck

do you have any picts of you doing it and did you have to take the splashwell out