1975 Bayliner cuddy, does anyone know how the fuel tank is attached under the floor?

sparky895

Cadet
I have a 20 foot Bayliner Admirality that i am trying to put an AQ 240 in (Ford 351 with 280 outdrive) but i need to try to move the fuel tank forward 6 inches or remove it and install a shorter one. Anyone know how they are attached under the fiberglass? My tank is 61 inches long 23 wide and 7 tall. There is enough void to measure the length. I am hoping i can cut a hole at the end of the tank and dig out the foam to move the tank forward what i need for the install.

Thanks,

sparky895

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975 Bayliner cuddy, does anyone know how the fuel tank is attached under the flo

in my 1979 admirlity
it was glassed in the whole length of the tank
on the port side

Attachments

• DSCN1430.jpg
    DSCN1430.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1455.jpg
    DSCN1455.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1451.jpg
    DSCN1451.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 0

sparky895

Cadet
Re: 1975 Bayliner cuddy, does anyone know how the fuel tank is attached under the flo

Thanks for the reply, bummer on the fiberglass. Can you get it free without damaging the tank? i will have to talk with my fab guys and see if they can drain and clean the tank enough in place to modify it. I need 6 inches off the length or 3 inches in hight to clear the pulley.

Thanks again,

sparky895

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply, bummer on the fiberglass. Can you get it free without damaging the tank? i will have to talk with my fab guys and see if they can drain and clean the tank enough in place to modify it. I need 6 inches off the length or 3 inches in hight to clear the pulley.

Thanks again,

sparky895

1st and foremost Welcome to iBoats!!
I would say you might wanna see it the tank is usable since its probably metal, is it rusty? or leaking, is the fuel gauge working right? All things I would address before putting it back or keeping it or reconfigure it.

sparky895

Cadet

The tank is Auminum, i have not removed it but the boat is in exelent shape exept for the engine. It was either restored or what i believe spent most of it's life in a shop or barn and only used in fresh water from what i can tell. The mistake they made was putting an automotive engine in it built up like a race car and broke a ring. It originally had an aq 4 cylinder with a 280 outdrive in it but i have a fresh aq240 ford 351 mounted to the 280 outdrive which is also fresh, that i am wanting to use. the fuel tank is 3 inches too tall or 6 inches too long for my new engine. I have all the parts for the retrofit other than the room in the engine compartment where the end of the tank sits. About 12 inches of the tank is exposed in the engine compartment. So my belief based on the condition of the rest of the boat, the tank is probably ok as far as rust.

I appriciate the input, i am still trying to decide if i want to cut the deck which is in great shape and patch with fiberglass and epoxy, then have it sprayed with bedliner or something to that nature to cover the seams. Please give some imput on that too.

thanks,

sparky895

sparky895

Cadet

The tank is Auminum, i have not removed it but the boat is in exelent shape exept for the engine. It was either restored or what i believe spent most of it's life in a shop or barn and only used in fresh water from what i can tell. The mistake they made was putting an automotive engine in it built up like a race car and broke a ring. It originally had an aq 4 cylinder with a 280 outdrive in it but i have a fresh aq240 ford 351 mounted to the 280 outdrive which is also fresh, that i am wanting to use. the fuel tank is 3 inches too tall or 6 inches too long for my new engine. I have all the parts for the retrofit other than the room in the engine compartment where the end of the tank sits. About 12 inches of the tank is exposed in the engine compartment. So my belief based on the condition of the rest of the boat, the tank is probably ok as far as rust.

I appriciate the input, i am still trying to decide if i want to cut the deck which is in great shape and patch with fiberglass and epoxy, then have it sprayed with bedliner or something to that nature to cover the seams. Please give some imput on that too.

thanks,

sparky895
Thanks for all the response, i am new to renovating boats and i guess i wasn't paying very good attention, are the tanks galv steel not aluminum? I will have to take a magnet to mine and check it out i assumed it was alum. Sorry about that. If that is the case i think i may cut the end open and have a custom tank made out of stainless or alum and fit it inside the old tank. I figure i will lose about 6 gallons by the timei take out what i need but i really don't run that far and i have room under the cuddy to store 28 gallons of reserve fuel tanks if i need to on a case by case basis. Please give me feedback on drawbacks of this solution. Again sorry about the misunderstanding i was reading about the rust but i didn't register that the tanks are steel.

thanks again,

sparky895

sparky895

Cadet

Ok i keep opening up the can of worms, anybody have pictures of the inside of one of these fuel tanks? I am curious what the baffles look like if there are any on a typical application. This of course will help to determine if i will be able to make a tank to slide inside or i need to go back to modifying my existing tank.

Thanks,
sparky895

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just want to add my 02. My tank was sitting on plywood planks and is exactly where the tank corroded through.

Cut the deck and be done with it. As far as carrying fuel around in the cuddy I would definately double think that one. Fuel tanks mounted forward in a boat are held to a higher standard. Google marine fuel system requirements to answer most of your questions.

No there are no baffles in that tank.

sparky895

Cadet

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel in the cuddy, i will just scratch that alltogether. I doubt i will ever need any additional fuel than what my tank will carry anyway, i only run in fresh water not too far from the launches anyway. Any advice on getting tank out once i cut the deck without ruining the tank?

Thanks again,

sparky895

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

If its Foamed in then try Compressed air around the sides.

You might have to duct tape or use shrink wrap tape around the "blown" sections to get a better blow out.

If that does not work try using a drywall knife around the tank/foamed sides. Then just gently pull out.

YD.

sparky895

Cadet

I am hoping to dig in to the tank project this weekend, i want to cut the deck just the size of the tank so i can get it out. In my research i find conflicting info on putting back the deck, some say glassing it back in will promote rot and i should build a hatch. I don't see how glassing it in could cause rot unless it is not sealed right. Is it tough to get a good seal? I have not done glass work before. Also, if i need to replace the tank, Plastic, alum or stinless?

Thanks everyone this post has been a big help,

sparky895View attachment 107460View attachment 107461View attachment 107462View attachment 107463View attachment 107464