1975 225 OMC

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Sorry I get the impellor would keep the drive cool, but my question is why bother with the raw water pump if the impellor in the drive is supplying water? What am I gaining?
Without the impeller in the drive, the exhaust going thru the drive will overheat the drive

A crank driven pump would not draw through the OMC drive. You would end up with a pickup

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
Without the impeller in the drive, the exhaust going thru the drive will overheat the drive

A crank driven pump would not draw through the OMC drive. You would end up with a pickup
I get all that Scott, just don’t see the advantage of adding a crank driven water pump to cool the engine.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I get all that Scott, just don’t see the advantage of adding a crank driven water pump to cool the engine.
With your drive, there is no advantage. The drive can't take enough power to need more cooling water flow

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks men appreciate the answers. One more question I have the drive stripped down to replace the impeller and in this parts picture the drive was missing these two metal washers part number 21 which asks the question are they necessary? The drive performed great on a test run and no issues with the tilt. I ordered two, got my parts and missing one so have to reorder and another three day delay. Better safe than sorry so will wait unless its 100% they are not needed.

Attachments

• 448622077_807609021511923_4789846743755505759_n.jpg
    448622077_807609021511923_4789846743755505759_n.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 8

kenny nunez

Captain
The washers and spring were originally used as a ground to ensure the lower gear magnets a negative charge. Later on there was a stainless ground strap added between a pivot cap bolt to the bolt that mounted the rubber bumper. If you do not have the strap be sure to add something similar. If for a micro second loss of negative charge while on plane you will shear off one of the shafts or break a clutch spring in the lower.
Do not worry about the washers but be sure to have a strap like I described.

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
The washers and spring were originally used as a ground to ensure the lower gear magnets a negative charge. Later on there was a stainless ground strap added between a pivot cap bolt to the bolt that mounted the rubber bumper. If you do not have the strap be sure to add something similar. If for a micro second loss of negative charge while on plane you will shear off one of the shafts or break a clutch spring in the lower.
Do not worry about the washers but be sure to have a strap like I described.
Thank you again, it does have the strap so I guess I’m good to go.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Check the splines on the 3-piece vertical drive shaft. If the are pointy, get new shafts.

Rranger

Chief Petty Officer
Will have a look at that and I guess if I’m basically changing all the upper/lower unit seals I will do prop and ball gear drive shaft also.. Probably in there tighter than Toby’s -$=. Yeehaw. Hopefully it and the vertical driveshafts are ok.