1975 135 evinrude

dawright

Cadet
My outboard isnt firing well enough to keep it running. Is there any way to clean the stator and see if it helps or what should i do. PLease give it to me in easy instructions.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1975 135 evinrude

You need to start with the basics, compression, spark and fuel delivery. You might want to ivest in a manual for your engine, it will ansewer a lot of questions and help trouble shoot you engine.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

My outboard isnt firing well enough to keep it running. Is there any way to clean the stator and see if it helps or what should i do. PLease give it to me in easy instructions.

Easy: There isn't anything in or on the stator to clean.

dawright

Cadet

you know its pricks like you that makes me hesitate to ask a question. Im not mechanically inclined thats why im on this website.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you know its pricks like you that makes me hesitate to ask a question. Im not mechanically inclined thats why im on this website.

Take it easy, no one is trying to jerk you around and you have obviously taken something way too personal. A manual will certainly be the best resource that you can buy since it will keep all of the values you need right at your hand. If the stator is complete with out any broken or loose wires it should work. Start with the basics as stated earlier, there are many reasons that a motor will not stay running and doing the basics will help you zero in on what is wrong.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Get an OEM shop manual and read it ... come back with questions if you have problems then. You're asking the impossible otherwise! We don't hand out "easy instructions" to potentially complicated problems, especially without any more information than you provided.

BTW, you offended one of the smarter guys here. You need to lighten up!

dawright

Cadet

i dont give a **** how smart he is hes was being a a smart alleck. Anyways I already have a service manual and the plugs arent firing strong. They do fire enough to keep it running out of water if the warm up lever is pulled halfway up, but when you put a load on it in the water it dies.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Before proceeding further you should perform a spark test to confirm your suspicion about the weak spark. The spark on each cylinder should be capable of jumping a 7/16 air gap. This is done by cranking the engine and observing if the spark is sucessfully breaking over the gap. This test needs to be done on all four cylinders. Ideally a special tool is used for this. However, the backyard mechanic can usually fashion something acceptable out of an old spark plug. Just be careful around that high voltage.

iwombat

Captain

You can't use an old spark plug to test the air gap. You'd be testing the plug as well as the air gap. You CAN use a board and some nails.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Also, test with all of the spark plugs removed. Be sure that you have a solid ground on your test device(s), and that your battery is fully charged and can turn the engine at 300 RPM.

The 1973-1976 135HP motors need special attention to grounds on the ignition system so it is a good idea to clean all of the connections when experiencing ignition problems. The rack on which the powerpack and ignition coils are mounted had problems with grounding as well, so clean the grounding straps running from the rack to the cylinder heads.

If the ignition coils are cracked, discolored, swollen or melted, they should be replaced.

jonesg

Admiral

No its prix like me:D,
those other guys are the good guys.
I'm a cook, this website makes my outboard run.

McGR

You can't use an old spark plug to test the air gap. You'd be testing the plug as well as the air gap. You CAN use a board and some nails.

OH you CAN't

iwombat

Captain

So, if it's not sparking is it the plug or something else? Also, the impedance of the plug is not zero, so you should be testing with a gap less than 7/16". What that gap will be depends on the plug used.

The same setup with a couple of nails is much better and more predictable.

McGR

So, if it's not sparking is it the plug or something else? Also, the impedance of the plug is not zero, so you should be testing with a gap less than 7/16". What that gap will be depends on the plug used.

The same setup with a couple of nails is much better and more predictable.

So... you use a known good plug. The impedance of the plug is absolutly negligable in this rig compared to the impedance of the gap. This rig will work like a charm.