1974 TriHaul Rebuild w/Johnson 85hp

WNYSoldier44

Cadet
Well im back! Sold the glastron and got a 74 trhaul camo. Reason behind, fish during the summer duck hunt during the winter.

Anyways, just had a brand new steering column and linkage installed to the 85hp 77' Johnson im running on the back.

My main concern right now is that the motor is a larger motor and I can only move by removing the pins....What I want to do is make it automatic ie a button near the throttle like most boats to where the operator can move motor up and down wether im launching or loading or find myelf in weeds.

Has anyone done this? And exactly what part's do I need to get? A local boat shop looked at me all crazy when I mentioned this to them.

Secondly is I want to install a bilge pump, any recomendations?

Thanks for the help.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1974 TriHaul Rebuild w/Johnson 85hp

so you want to add a power tilt & trim to your motor that is a manual one now if Im reading this right?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Unfortunately there is no way to economically add power tilt 'n trim to a pre-1978 Johnson/Evinrude. The pre-'78 OEM units go for around $400 used. Your only other option is an aftermarket unit like the CMC which starts around $500. You MAY luck into a reasonably priced pre-'78 OEM unit if you find someone selling one that doesn't know what they have. I tried for years to find one for my '73 Johnson 85 with no success :( The post '78 units are typically much more reasonably priced (around $250 or so) but won't bolt up to your motor.

WNYSoldier44

Cadet

Ya, well thats a swift kick in the rear. Are there any other modifications that are out there worthy enough of trying to accomplish this? My biggest fear is loading and launching and motor getting torn up, or the prop getting torn up in shallow water when trolling

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

The formentioned ctc unit should do the trick and easly to install.