1974 OMC 165 Sterndrive ignition Coil Wiring please help!

74GREWCANIC

Recruit
hey guys / gals, i just took my boat out of storage and i had disconnected my coil right before i put it away and took pictures but they were lost on my other phone. :( Could anyone please tell me which wires would go where?? I have a solid purple, purple/black stripe, solid tan, and the negative wire to the distributor. Any insight would be amazing! thanks so much!

Bondo

Staff member
hey guys / gals, i just took my boat out of storage and i had disconnected my coil right before i put it away and took pictures but they were lost on my other phone. :( Could anyone please tell me which wires would go where?? I have a solid purple, purple/black stripe, solid tan, and the negative wire to the distributor. Any insight would be amazing! thanks so much!
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... The purple ones on the (+) terminal, 'n the distributor wire, 'n tan on the (-) terminal,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Being a 1974. Make sure to file and service the points, then set dwell and timing

74GREWCANIC

Recruit
Thanks guys, i put them on and still no spark. have voltage on the positive side so it must be what scotts suggesting. Anyone have a link to a good howto on servicing the points on the old OMCs?? figure there must be 1 or 100 of them already. :p

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks guys, i put them on and still no spark. have voltage on the positive side so it must be what scotts suggesting. Anyone have a link to a good howto on servicing the points on the old OMCs?? figure there must be 1 or 100 of them already. :p
Service the points.

Info in the stickies for those that didn't have high school autos

Scott Danforth

Staff member