1974 MFG Logo's

Mostly Harmless

Seaman Apprentice
Looking for a some help/information, hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

Earlier this year I spent about two months redoing most of a 1974 MFG Super Caprice. This boat was purchased brand new in 74' with an 85HP Evinrude by my father when he was 23 and now it is mine (I am 25). It has been sitting on the side of the house for the past 10 years because of engine issues to which he didn't have the time to repair. I basically re-vinyl all the interior pieces, replaced the seats, replaced all the gauges, re-wired all the gauges, replace a lot of the hardware (cleats, lights, etc...) painted the windshield bezel, buffed/polished the gel coat (it is in very good condition), put new carpet in, and replaced parts of the floor (the entire floor is going to be replaced in the winter time). I have received a lot of compliment on the boat, people love to stop me at the docks and chat about it and good it looks (it reminds me of how people discuss classic cars). I also replaced the engine with an 115 ETEC.

One of the issues I am having is with the logos on the side of the boat. The logo is basically the letters MFG with a checked flag molded in about 1/4" plastic. Either side is missing parts of the logo so I don't have a complete one. I would like to get new ones made but I am somewhat at a lost on how to do that. People have suggested getting stickers to replace them but I really want the "3D" look of these plastic logos. I was thinking about building the logos in CAD and then seeing if someone could mill them from me but I would need to find someone with the equipment to do that. Does anyone have any other ideas of how I could replace them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

woosterken

Lieutenant
Re: 1974 MFG Logo's

hey welcome aboard
where are you?
is this what your talking about?

IM000005.jpg

also one of the members here has a great write up on how to make a casting
check this out

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,27,00.html

woosterken

Mostly Harmless

Seaman Apprentice

That is the exact logo with the wording in the middle (obviously the boat is a Caprice), I am located in NY. Where did you get those logos from??

woosterken

Lieutenant

try laniermarine.net they are a salvage yard in Ga. I was looking on their site,they had an old mfg with perfect emblems,
sent an e-mail but never heard back from them
go on their site and put MFG in the search

woosterken

Mostly Harmless

Seaman Apprentice

Ha! So I need to find some complete logos then. That website you provided gave me some ideas, thank you very much! You boat looks awesome, I love the MFGs, heres a few of mine after most of the work(I need to upload some pictures of when I started, it was a real diaster):
p162408115-3.jpg

p198327785-3.jpg

p521046120-3.jpg

p81058420-3.jpg

woosterken

Lieutenant

wow, looks great
man that dock your tied to looks like you need to pack a lunch to go after the trailer :)

woosterken