1974 Johnson runs then quits

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 Johnson runs then quits

What oil are you using in your gas?

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It starts right up with the spray bottle, and the fuel pump seems ok (how do I check it? everyting is assembled right) so Im gonna re-clean the carbs and see. hopefully Ill be on the water soon this afternoon.

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, carbs are perfectly clean, fuel filter is clean. So its the fuel pump? how should that go together? the manual does not have a diagram.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Fuel pump is screwed snug to carb with an elongated washer between the carb and the pump. The washer has to be there.<br />Cover of pump has one center screw with a filter screen and sectioned gasket behind it.

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright, I was out on the river, and I think the problem is the gas line and pick up. I will replace those next weekend and then do some waterskiing. Thanks for all your help.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

We were all pulling for you!<br /><br />Good luck

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You guys should have seen me! we were out in my bare-bone boat.. no seats no carpet, no hood on the motor. I put some plastic garden chairs in it, and they slid all over the place.<br /><br />On the way back to the ramp, I wasnt getting enough fuel, so we were chuggin along the park towards the ramp (with about 200 picknickers watching) and my buddy was squirting some premix in the carbs to keep us going, and with the hood off we were loud too. I sure got alot of stares and people pointing at me!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

could be the screen in the tank pick-up, or a collapsing fuel line. You might try running the motor with a conventional portable tank to see if that works -- which would indicate a problem with the fuel supply system in the boat.