1974 Glastron V174 17' Bayflite restore..let the fun begin.

squishall

Cadet
Watch the vid. I introduce myself and what it is I am embarking on.

Cheers,

Richard

Last edited:

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1973/74/75 Glastron V174 Bayflite restore..let the fun begin.

I checked out your video and looked at the factory brochures and from the color I think you have a '74. I love those old Glastrons. Good luck!

http://www.classicglastron.com/74gl-v174-173.html

captmello

Captain

Nice looking boat. I'm a fan of the old Volvo's. The AQ130c is a common motor and there is lots of help in the I/O forum with that.

Good luck!!

squishall

Cadet

Ahh yes..of course the color scheme is the key. Thanks for that info. I have a 1974 V174 Bayflite.

For the angle grinder what type of wheels should I get to remove the fibreglass and wood?

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

24 grit flap disk works wonders.

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

Alright! Lookin good so far, I also love those old glastrons, I have a '76 gt-150. Im excited for you and look forward to the videos... This is the first resto that I can jump in on at its first stages! I look forward to your progress and will chime in when and where I can! So whats next on your list?

If you plan on getting it on the water before christmas then you should go ahead and get your wood so it can start drying out while you still have some hot weather. Cool deal, once again im excited for you, and after its done you will have a boat you can be proud of! Good luck, cheers!

squishall

Cadet

First let me apologize for the seasickness inducing video. I will have to employ my wife to hold the camera while I try to show different things. Hopefully what you will get from this vid is how much water can get into a boat that is not properly sealed.

I am off to buy the wood in the next couple of days to allow it time to dry out completely. Over the next 3 days I hope to finish gutting the boat and, on the weekend, remove the motor and outdrive.

Last edited:

squishall

Cadet

Well I accomplished a fair amount today. Got to the bow and removed the fuel tank as well as a fair amount of forward decking. Very hard work as I had to lay on my side and try to manipulate the power tools. I will take some Ibuprofen for sure. All the foam and 97% of the decking is gone. Some disturbing finds were:

1. Fuel filler hose was rotten and in fact had a small slice in it so when fueling up obviously some was going directly into bow area.
2. Why do people use bolts and screws that are 2 inches longer than they need? One of my biggest pet peeves!!
3. Fuel tank was wedged in so tight that the filler hose and vent hose were crushed into a right angle at the connector point on the tank.
4. Stringers abruptly end about 1 foot from the forward contact point. Don't know if a design flaw or simply rotted away.
5. Need to wear respirator as well as long sleeves and pants. Really feel the particles in my throat and prickles on my skin. Even though I was doing very little fibreglass cutting.

Questions:

1. The fuel line is currently a copper line. Should I change it to a rubber hose type line?
2. Fuel tank was forward of the instrument panel. Would there be any harm in relocating it in the middle under the deck?

squishall

Cadet
Re: 1974 Glastron V174 17' Bayflite restore..let the fun begin.

Well things have turned for the worse. I was removing the outdrive leg and all was good until I tried to remove one of the lock screws which retain the pivot pins in the mounting collar when all of a sudden it snapped off leaving a good 1-2 inches of threaded rod inside. I am not sure what to do. I would appreciate some advice on this. I feel that everything is for nothing and I just have a large piece of trash in my driveway if I cannot remove the outdrive.

Things were going too good..something had to happen to dampen my spirits.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi....welcome to iboats !

ok....couple of things....(i didnt see the vids)

first off.....SAFETY FIRST....fiberglass. NEVER COMES OUT OF YOUR LUNGS.....EVER.

in the sticky at the top of the fourm.....is a thread called safety basics of grinding and glassing...please read it..
if i am doing a full blown hull grind or transom.....i actually wear a bio med suit. (its plastic...thinner than a raincoat) i wear rubber gloves with the wrists tapped, and the ankles tapped to boots. the suit has a hood....i wear a towel over the hood....then i wear a full face mask....(but a good resporator will do....not a dust mask...but an actual resporator)
then i wear coveralls and stict the ends of the towel around my neck and into the coveralls. this is a basic throat protector incase the grinding disc flys apart.

replace the rubber hose with a rubber line....copper is no longer used .....due to the fact it can conduct electricity.

as far as the sheared bolt.....you can get an easy out....or drill it and re tap it.

murphy.......who makes murphys laws...lives around boats.. and especially likes boat restorers. get used to it....if you are having a great day....stop....he is about to show up...lol.

click the link in my thread for glassing detailes, and any other question you have....it will be there.

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

oh.....if you are really having trouble with the bolt......there are two guys that live in nanamio that are doing great work on a crusier with twins....they are really busy, i think they are going back to school soon....but they will be able to get it out in a snap.

squishall

Cadet

I ended up drilling it out. The EZ pull thingy just stripped. All of the bolts so far have been muscle taxing tough to get going. I keep thinking maybe I am turning them the wrong way. I don't know if someone used massive amounts of LockTite or what but this is just nuts. I am so scared that I am going to break more or strip them.

Oh well..I guess that comes with the job.

The next thing is punching out the pivot pins. Are they tapered or can they come out either way? They do not hace a thread on the end for a slide tool so they must be punched out.

squishall

Cadet

WooHooo!!! After breaking 2 bolts off and wrenching the heck out of my arms I finally removed the outdrive. Wow..what a feeling to have that come off so easily once the connections were all taken care of. The universal joints look great. There is some surface rust but nothing to terrible. Everything seems to turn smoothly and the driveshaft looks great... the splines are all intact. So after some frustrating times I am rewarded in the end.

Tomorrow I will remove the engine and the mounting collar. Then it is time to start grinding.

I work 27 days a month and only have 1 weekend off so I am excited to get a full weekend's work in. The wife will have some chores for me no doubt. Video to be posted in the next few days.

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

Well it looks like oops has got ya covered so far, but I will re-iterate the importance of a respirator, a good one, while watching your latest video and hearing you talk at the jobsite (the first half) I was thinking "geez, why isnt he wearing a respirator" being new to fiberglassing in practice myself it is of the ut most importance... But anywho, lookin good so far bro!!

Im glad you went ahead and bought the wood for the sole, the longer you allow it ti dry the better!
Well youve got some seriously solid boat restorers on board (well at least one so far) my guess is yacht dr. isnt too far behind, or may be lurking, hes a stud as well... So cheers! Keep the vids coming and good luck on the rest! But! Wear a respirator, you cant regrow brain cells (yet!) :rolleyes:

madolive3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congrats on the bayflight, I'll be watching closely. I just bought a 1974 V173. I won't be tearing out the floor anytime soon though. The floor feels very solid, I did replace a 10" square piece that was under the drivers seat area, I know that probably means the rest of the floor needs replacing as well but I'm going to wait for a year or two to do that. I did reglass the entire floor to seal it up and buy some time on that big project though. My Transome is rock solid though and that I am grateful for.
I need carpet, seats and gauges. I need to clean the fuel system out, replace all of the electrical. I bought a big ol 78 Johnson 115 for it and that needs a carb rebuild.
I need a center glass piece for the windshield. I hope you can continue with your thread and good luck my 1974 Bay flight brother......Bill
I'll post some pics of my boat tonight.