1974 Glastron Starflite tri-hull volvo penta aq130 270 stern drive

tistore

Banned
Re: 1974 Glastron Starflite tri-hull volvo penta aq130 270 stern drive

:mad: Ok went to silver wood lake today and the good thing is the boat floats without any leaks plus the boat looked really good on the water tons of compliments...the bad thing is the boat motor got hot because it wasn't sucking any water guess the impelled is shot...then the exhaust hose was bad so a good ten min stuck on the water got it running and we had to load her up and head home ...sucks!

LangDog

Cadet

Darn! I really like that boat and would really like to find the outboard version one day. I got my fingers crossed for you to get it sorted while you still have some weather left.

Cheers

tistore

Banned

thanks i'm hoping to get it all together before the weather changes...all i need is an exhaust hose which is 20.00 dollars and a new impeller which i found for 30.00 and the oil seals cause my raw water pump is leaking alittle through the 2 middle holes...but i will try again soon.

redfury

Commander

Darn! I really like that boat and would really like to find the outboard version one day. I got my fingers crossed for you to get it sorted while you still have some weather left.

Cheers

Careful when you buy one. I have the outboard version and it's been a basket case from the very beginning. I just started sanding the hull and found a million blisters. I can only assume this boat sat in a lake for a while during the course of its life and that is the cause ( gel coat isn't impervious to water intrusion....it's called osmosis and my boat got a bad case of the blisters... )

If you see blisters, look elsewhere if you can....save you a ton of work.

tistore

Banned

Thanks...i took the impeller out today it was destroyed....here is a pics of the impeller and a few pics of the boat with the hull ID plus a pic of the sticker of glastron i put on the trailer....i will get pics soon of the boat on the water...once i fix it.....:eek:

PIC OF THE IMPELLER THAT KILLED MY DAY AT THE LAKE...40 DOLLARS FOR A NEW ONE
IMAG0162.jpg

PICS OF THE BOAT WITH THE HULL ID #
IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

GLASTRON STICKER ON THE TRAILER
IMAG0160.jpg

tistore

Banned

Ohh funny thing happend when i was at the lake forgot to mention cause i was mad about the impeller and the motor...when i was pulling off the ramp i did what i'm sure almost everyone has done...remember to lift the outdrive or it will drag on the ground when leaving the ramp...:D:eek::rolleyes::cool:

captmello

Captain

Ohh funny thing happend when i was at the lake forgot to mention cause i was mad about the impeller and the motor...when i was pulling off the ramp everyone remember to lift the outdrive or it will drag on the ground when leaving the ramp...:D:eek::rolleyes::cool:

That might have been the outdrive trying to get some of that Black paint off of itself.:eek:;)

JK. Your boat looks great. My area is thick with those old glastrons. Good luck with it.

tistore

Banned

That's good to hear...that means they are lasting kind of like the old vintage muscle cars:D well I will give it another try soon...but this time i'm going to put the outdrive up before leaving the dock...:eek:

LangDog

Cadet

Careful when you buy one. I have the outboard version and it's been a basket case from the very beginning. I just started sanding the hull and found a million blisters. I can only assume this boat sat in a lake for a while during the course of its life and that is the cause ( gel coat isn't impervious to water intrusion....it's called osmosis and my boat got a bad case of the blisters... )

If you see blisters, look elsewhere if you can....save you a ton of work.

Oh if nothing else this forum has driven into my head to NEVER EVER assume condition at first impression and that even experienced buyers can miss things. But, for what I want to do, that v-168 would be a good choice since it's a little bigger than other similar models, Good luck on yours I'd really like to see it.

Excuse the hijack Tistore :D

redfury

Commander

Yup, the 14-15 ft 'trons are a dime a dozen....finding the 17ft and larger gets to be difficult. I've only seen 2 exact copies of my boat on the boating forums I'm on, and they are both @ the classic glastron forums ( go figure :rolleyes: )

tistore

Banned

it's ok i did hijack you but not on purpose....mine is perfect for what i need it for but true it's hard to find 17 foot boats like ours on here. the next time i go out i hope i don't have any issues. would like to enjoy the boat with no problems...:cool: i am going to just paint the dash and get it to look alittle decent ...and before next summer i will fix it alittle nicer...

tistore

Banned

here are some pics of the dash i hated the yellow so i painted it,,,i cleaned up the over spray but didn't take pics of it...i still need the vinyl trim but vinyl is sooo expensive....this is just temp for now

IMAG0185.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg
IMAG0170.jpg

IMAG0169.jpg

here is a before picture...mustard yellow ...what was glastron thinking:confused:

IMAG0154.jpg

LangDog

Cadet

Tistore, 2 questions: 1. Is the deck height beyond the walk through higher the the main floor and 2. How were the sides finished on the inside?

Cheers and full steam ahead!

tistore

Banned

Yes the bow section is higher by almost a foot...and the sides I just layed the carpet on the inside wall and used the indoor, outdoor carpet glue that I bought from home depot...

tistore

Banned

TacoGlastron.jpg

For anyone that is trying to get rust off gas does work...i used it on the trailer rims today and wow what a difference...it took all the grease off and rust. i used a small wire brush that looked like a tooth brush but with wire now my rim looks brand new. after i washed it off with soap and water i took the chrome polish to it and what a shine. just thought i would let everyone know how i got the rust off my rim. i will post pics of it later..i'm going to do the motor next i have a few spots on the chrome on the motor so i want to shine that up next. stay tuned alot more pics comming.:D

tistore

Banned

here are some more pics...

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

tistore

Banned

october 2010 weekend....this is at silver wood lake, ca 18 dollars to get in and launch the boat for those who want to know. the boat ran terrible...the highest rpm was 3000 and that was only 18 miles an hour. plus i think it used all the gas in the boat...only has an 18 gallon tank in it. not sure how many miles i was suppose to get but according to my gps i only went 14.5 miles. so when i got home i checked the carbs, then pulled all the spark plugs then i noticed the 3rd plug was wet with fuel, so just out of curiousity i remember the lifters knocking pretty good so i took the valve cover off and there it was! one of the push rods was off...so i checked it out and pulled the thing holding the lifters on off and noticed a broken bolt...well i fixed everything adjusted the lifters and now ready to test the boat out once we get good weather again...ohh i need a new propeller for my 270 stern drive..i was loading the boat onto the trailer and got all sideways cause of the wind and the water, i then went to turn around and whammm!!! I hit the prop on the ground...messed up the propeller pretty good....anyways im looking for a propeller thats in great condition and cheap...:D

well here is the boat at the dock to the bathrooms....i will take better pics of the boat in the water next time i go.

IMAG0048.jpg

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

You've come a long way. Congrats!
You might want to check ebay for a replacement prop. I went with a 4 blade myself and it really made the boat get up on plane smoother and quicker. Not sure if you're aware or not but you can run right or left hand prop on that drive. Just change the linkage under the cover. It's pretty easy and the manual shows you how to do it.

Way to go with finding the broken valve train bolt. If you need any more help with the engine, be sure to yell out over in the engine section.

I noticed on one of your initial pictures that there wasn't a piece of hose on the suction of the bilge blower. It's pretty important for that to be in the lower part of the bilge and hoping you got that corrected.

Congrats again and keep posting!

tistore

Banned

Thanks...i checked the bilge and with the engine cover closed the bilge blower blows out one side and when i walk to the other side where the vents are i can feel it sucking the air in....so i think it's all good...i just need to remember to turn on the blower when i start up the boat...:eek:

i have been running the boat with a bad marine battery so i have been limiting the use of the electrical...saving it to start up the boat. i'm planning on getting a new battery this next season.

SC's Forever!

Seaman Apprentice

Ya gotta LOVE those Volvos!!!!! 5 min. to reverse rotation; can change your water pump impeller in 5 min....even in the middle of the lake or gulf(Try that with an OMC/Merc!!!) Real shame its painted Black....sort of an insult!!!!
BE SURE to run that bilge blower 5 to 10 min. BEFORE you try to start the engine!!!! Really be a shame to see all your work go up in a cloud of smoke!!!(AND you with it!!!!!)
Take care, enjoy, and be safe........BEAUTIFUL JOB!!!!