1974 Evinrude 70hp hard starting

miichael18

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok guys and gals i need some help. I have a 1974 evinrude 70hp engine that i have owned since 2002. Iv had 1 coil pack go bad and i replaced power pack and stator since i have owned it. its got brand new spark plugs gapped at .030 QL77JC4. all spark plugs have good fire. electric choke does not work so i have to use manual choke. when i get to the lake i pump up the bubble and pull the manual choke which chokes all 3 carbs. i move the warm up lever up and turn it over till it cranks but it takes forever to start. it hits and dies hits and dies. if i dont choke it it just turns over and never cranks. if i squirt some starting fluid in carb it fires right up and idles fine and runs fine untill i shut it off again. i dont know if its flooding itself out or if its not getting enough gas or what. it runs great once it gets running and it idles fine but it just will not start without starting fluid. got new gas in tank also. i have never rebuilt the carbs but i have cleaned them out 2 times and they look good inside so could a carb rebuild (new gaskets and needle) solve my problem maybe? its got good compression on all 3 cylinders it just will not start. now if its hooked to the muffs it fires right up everytime. put it in water it will not start up without starting fluid. may need a link and sync and check timing maybe? iv never done that. any info or advice would be great thank you.

Crazyju

Seaman
Re: 1974 Evinrude 70hp hard starting

Following along. I am having the exact same problem with a 1979 115.

miichael18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its got to be something simple like carbs id say. i may go ahead and just order 3 new carb rebuild kits and start trial and error myself. dont seem to be anyone that can help.

Dsage

Cadet

My 1976 115hp is hard to start if its not tilted up. I tilt it to the point that the water intake area is just under water. I was told that the hard start was due to back pressure on the engine. I messed with all different starting methods then I ran across an old boat mechanic and he told me about this trick. I could notfigure it out since the top end of my motor was just redone before I bought the boat. Then I did the tilt trick and she fires right up.

miichael18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well mine dont have eletric tilt/trim so i cant start it with motor up. it cranks great on muffs just very hard to start in water under pressure? anyone?

carbs? timing?