1974 evinrude 50 hp-50473m

had an old motor given to me by a friend,had not been run in 2 years,however when it was being used it was maintained and in running condition when it was abandoned.The motor was not locked up and I had it running in about 30 min.It will not shift out of neutral.The shift shaft is free,I can see it moving about .25 inch movement.the stuck part whatever it is is in the lower unit i think.But where do I disconnect the shift shaft.Is it at the top of the shaft,or do I unbolt everything drop it down as far as it will go,and find this thing in one of the spaces made when the lu drops down a bit.I hate to have to drive this thing 50 miles for someone to point it out to me.Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Wayne

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1974 evinrude 50 hp-50473m

I've got an '87 Johnson 50hp and the shift rod disconnect is under the bottom carb. Not sure if yours is there or not but you might take a look.

thanks for the help it looks like it could be taken apart there maybe there are a couple of 7/16 bolts there.I thought maybe there was a pin or something to remove.Is the whole shift shaft supposed to come out along with the lower unit?

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Yes the whole shift rod will come out with the lower unit. Try not to turn the shift rod. If you screw it down into the gear case, or, unscrew out of the gear case, you will mess up the shift adjustment. When you get the lower unit out, measure the height of the shift rod and write it down, just in case you forget.

got it disconnected came out easy,now i'm gonna try to find some archives on gearboxes.Thanks