1974 Evinrude 115hp

darth rodney

Recruit
I am new to marine engines and need some help.

I have 1974 Evinrude 115hp outboard motor.

The below photo-ed part sometimes puts out a white smokescreen to make 007 jealous. And gets WICKED HOT!
The motor will still run.
The part is connected to the throttle. When the spring collapses onto the shaft it kills the motor. Kinda like a kill switch?

What is this part?
What does it really do?
I imagine i need to replace it soon.

20130816_185523.jpg

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1974 Evinrude 115hp

That’s the choke solenoid. It should engage only when you ativate it usually by pushing in the key while you are starting the engine. If a solenoid is energized and the plunger is stuck and cannot be pulled in, then it will get hot and usually burn up. Naturally, if it's energized during motor operation the motor will usually die. I'm wondering what's energizing it?

darth rodney

Recruit

I have a choke toggle/switch under the key switch that does not seem to work. It might getting stuck in the on position.

The solenoid seems to act as a counter weight for the electronic choke.

Could I leave the solenoid physically in place but disconnect it manually?
There by using the manual choke on the engine itself.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You can use the manual choke. Just that you'd have to remove the cowling each time you start it cold. Possible the choke switch is bad. You can do a simple electrical test to see if it's shorted in the closed position. Bombardier does have stock on that switch, part number 279175

jbch

Cadet

I'm not sure about the 74, but on the 72 its a two stage switch that activates this solenoid. I recently read a post about a bulletin that says as the engine ages, the temp sensor that activates the first stage, goes bad and the choke is activated all the time, the solution was to disconnect the temp sensor connected inline to this solenoid and rely only on the manual toggle switch to activate the choke. Also not sure about the 74 but the 72 has a manual choke on the front bottom of the engine choke, auto, and no choke. The no choke actually physically blocks the butterflies from closing.