1973 stringer 120 oil change help

Rayzor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought this 1973 sea swirl so its all new to me as are stern drive setups. I want to check/change the gear case oils but Im a bit lost. I have the type C stuff for the lower electric shift so thats not a issue. But what do I use up top and what screws are what? Also, I checked the tilt gear box oil and nothing but water came out. What kind of oil goes in there or is it grease?I dont want to mess this up. I just ordered a repair manual but I am trying to hit the lake this weekend so any help here would be great. Thanks. And yes, I tried a search but not finding what I need.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: 1973 stringer 120 oil change help

Some good information HERE, and a manual (at the bottom) and some good info HERE. Regular gear case lube in the upper and intermediate housing (80W90), and I've used that in my clutch pack too. All of them get checked and changed rather often.

Rayzor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, Thanks, the service manual in the link cant be down loaded. I guess I will hold out for the manual because there are screws all over this thing. The one in paticular is a large flate blade up on the top of the drive. On some its a dip stick but on mine its just a screw with a rubber washer. So not sure if its a fill point or what.

southkogs

Staff member

Sorry about that ... the link has been updated recently looks like.

That top big one is the fill point for your upper gear case. There's a screw on the side as well to drain it. I've collected a couple outdrives to use for parts and rebuilds - some have the dipstick and some don't.

If you go to shop.evinrude.com you can go to the stern drive section and there will be breakouts for the drive and you can order parts there too.