1973 Starcraft Restoration 19'

coalminerswife

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My husband came home a few days ago with a sad looking Starcraft boat that we hope to restore. I'm not sure what model it is exactly, as the title only identifies it as a Starcraft. It's 19' long, and was originally a cuddy cabin boat. The cabin has been removed, and we don't plan to put it back on, since it'll be used primarily for fishing. It arrived at my house gutted, filthy, and full of trash. I immediately started calling it the "SS Minner" (that's how folks pronounce "minnow" around these parts), because I couldn't imagine it being good for much of anything except leaving us stranded. I didn't have much hope for it, or any hope for it to be honest, but then I found this forum with all these great photos of restored Starcrafts. I guess it's safe to say this is now our favorite website. We look at it every night and discuss what we can do to make our boat look as good as the ones we see here.

Our first step was to clean the thing out. We scooped about seven bags of trash, a few moldy life jackets, some rusty tools, a wet boot, and a few years worth of dead leaves out of it. Then, my husband got stung by a wasp, and that's when we discovered the fourteen wasp nests that had to be eradicated. Then, I spent two evenings with a shop vac getting the rest of the gunk- mud, rotten wood, insulation_ out of the inside, and tonight the vacuuming was followed up by a good hosing out with water.

The boat literally is gutted. It needs a floor, carpet, seats, consoles, a new transom, and, of course, a motor. We have a 1975 model Johnson motor, 70 hp, that we'll be taking off our other old, leaky boat and putting on this one. We also have blue back-to-back type seats in that boat that we just bought this year, so those will be going in the Starcraft as well. We are hoping that the windshield off that boat may work also. We've decided to go with gray carpet, and paint the exterior white and gray. I've suggested a blue stripe as well, but my husband is not yet convinced.

I've been taking pictures, and as soon as I learn how to post them, I'll put some up.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: 1973 Starcraft Restoration 19'

Well...WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Sounds like ya have a chopped Islander or Chieftan...
We are picture crazy round here and can ID the hull with a few pics..Not that it matters much since whatever it was it isnt anymore..lol
You'll get lots of support and help here, many of us have done everything your tinny needs and I myself had almost zero experience with boats when I got my Starcraft...You are in the right place fo shure

Your a good woman..mine sits in the AC house wanting to know "if we can go yet"...lol

Also, we have a very active forum here ;)

http://forums.iboats.com/Starcraft_Boats

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

YES we are slightly addicted to Starcrafts and MANY of us have done some restorations. Here is an index of many of the restorations (Thank you North Beach) and many more are happening every day :)

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=385090

bananaboater

Ensign

Welcome. Great opportunity to make it what you want and you found lots of folks here that started where you are. Looking forward to seeing current state and watching rehab.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the iboats Starmada!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sounds like you are well on your way to rescuing a great old hull. Welcome to the club:)

Looking forward to seeing some photos of the rig:D

coalminerswife

Petty Officer 3rd Class

coalminerswife

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Clearly, I'm going to have to actually read that tutorial on how to post photos.

Anyway, today we gave the inside of the boat a good scrubbing. I was amazed at how much filth came off it, even after it had been hosed down.

My husband wanted to coat the bottom of the inside with something, in hopes of cutting down on noise and also to provide a little extra defense in the event of a leak. We decided to use some paint-on bedliner stuff for this. We picked up a gallon at Walmart this morning, and put on the first coat this evening using paint brushes. Tomorrow, we plan to put on the second coat, and then cut a floor out of the plywood we bought a few days ago. We may also go ahead and get our carpet to have on standby.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Clearly, I'm going to have to actually read that tutorial on how to post photos....

Lol, they are on the small side, I need to learn how you did it, that way my flaws won't be so noticeable :D

Welcome to the club! :)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Clearly, I'm going to have to actually read that tutorial on how to post photos.

Anyway, today we gave the inside of the boat a good scrubbing. I was amazed at how much filth came off it, even after it had been hosed down.

My husband wanted to coat the bottom of the inside with something, in hopes of cutting down on noise and also to provide a little extra defense in the event of a leak. We decided to use some paint-on bedliner stuff for this. We picked up a gallon at Walmart this morning, and put on the first coat this evening using paint brushes. Tomorrow, we plan to put on the second coat, and then cut a floor out of the plywood we bought a few days ago. We may also go ahead and get our carpet to have on standby.

Moving along huh?
Couple questions...
Did you apply the bedliner outside the hull or inside?
That stuff makes any rivet replacement or fixing a PITA..not too many use it.
The sealant of choice is GLUV-IT..ya brush it on inside the hull and it waterproofs..

Your plywood..I hope it isnt pressure treated..
And if its plain old exterior grade, fine..but you really need to use glass and resin to seal it..then put your carpet down, otherwise you will have a soft, waterlogged deck in no time..

Just trying to help before ya get too far and decide to redo what you have done

coalminerswife

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What is this resin that people keep talking about here? What's it called, and where do you buy it? Also, what do you seal with it? Do you seal the entire board, or just the outside edges? Am I right in saying the wood for the transom would need it as well?

We put the bedliner on the inside of the hull. It doesn't really seem to be very durable, so I don't think it would present a problem if we needed to remove a rivet. To be honest, I think it was probably just a waste of our money. I would definitely not use it to actually line the bed of my truck.

Yesterday, I painted in the second coat of the messy bedlining stuff, while my husband and nephew set out the work of removing the transom. This proved to be a bad job. The wood was rotten and infested with termites, but it didn't want to come out. After a few unsuccessful attempts at pulling it out, my husband decided to try using the boom on his service truck. This lifted up the entire boat, but the transom still didn't budge. So, he and my nephew then tied the boat down with a ratchet strap, and were then able to get the transom out with the boom.

Then, my husband and two nephews turned the boat over. It got a good scrubbing, and once it was dry, the bare spots were covered with spray primer.

We had planned to start painting, but ran into some problems with the sprayer, which were probably our fault, since we didn't read the directions on either the paint or the sprayer. So, if the weather holds out (it's looking gloomy here in Kentucky this morning), we may try to paint this evening.

Sometime today I hope to open a photobucket account, so I can post better photos.

coalminerswife

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The boat is not progressing as fast as we had hoped. We did get one coat of paint on it night before last, and it was, thank goodness, dry before the rain started. It rained most all day yesterday, and it's raining again as I type this. Also, our dryer broke and required our attention. Then, my husband got sick and was out of commission for a day.

We've also run into some trouble with paint sprayers. Our old Wagner apparently died sometime between last summer and now. We went to Lowes and purchased a replacement. It worked for the first coat, but is now refusing to spray at all. I'm hoping we just did not get it cleaned out thoroughly, so I have it disassembled and soaking in deadly chemicals currently. Apparently, Rustoleum is rough on paint sprayers.

If all goes according to plan, and the parts arrive on the UPS truck today, my husband will be spending the evening cleaning the carburetors on our pontoon, which has a Nissan motor that is just not cooperating at all. We would have farmed this job out to someone else, but there's no one within 60 miles that will touch a Nissan with a 10 foot pole.

Given all these complications, it is likely that the SS Minner will not see any work tonight either. In the meantime, I have opened a photobucket account and will start posting some photos.

coalminerswife

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The boat restoration project is still creeping along. I returned the Wagner sprayer to Lowe's and replaced it with another one just like it.

My husband had to work Saturday, so I took the new sprayer and went over with the intent of putting another coat of paint on the boat. The second sprayer didn't even make it through the first quart of paint before it quit spraying. Frustrated, I gave up and went home.

I got some good advice from fellow iboaters on the painting, so today, we returned the second useless Wagner and went to Tractor Supply, where we bought a $19.99 HVLP gun. It worked beautifully.

My husband got a nice, smooth coat of paint on the boat. About 10 minutes later, a thunderstorm blew in, and rain poured all over his newly sprayed paint, while the wind blew grass, leaves, and dust all over it. Needless to say, my husband was not very happy. I'm hoping the sun will be out tomorrow, and the paint will not look as bad as we're expecting it will.

coalminerswife

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The rain did some damage. I didn't have my camera with me last night to get pictures, but there are little spots all over the paint. So, when it quits raining, if it ever does, we will be doing some sanding. It's pouring the rain here right now, and there's rain in the forecast for every day this week.

Last night, my husband and nephews moved the boat inside my dad's warehouse where it would be safe and sound. Then, they sandblasted the trailer, using a sandblaster from the equipment rental place. Then, my husband sprayed it with primer. The trailer needs some work, and, of course, a paint job.

I realized yesterday that we bought the wrong foam for the floor, so I have my car loaded down with that to return to Lowe's. I think I've made more trips to Lowes in the last two weeks than in the rest of my life combined.

We've been trying to figure out what to do about the consoles. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on how to build consoles?

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I see you have 2 threads going, so many places to try and keep up on progress!:D

So far the boat is looking great!

I know up here in washington state, a lot of people coat the inside of there hulls with the bedliner stuff and really like it a lot.

Keep up all the good work!

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When you build your consoles, you can use exterior BC ply available at Lowes. Just coat them with the resin and glass and they will last a loooong time. The nice thing about starting from scratch is that you can make and design whatever you like. To answer your question about the resin, its basically what you use when your fiberglassing. There are two kinds, polyester and epoxy. Polyester is the least expensive of the two and I find it easier to work with. Somethings to remember, if you use epoxy, you have to stay with it as the poly doesn't adhere well to it. Try not to use the "general purpose" which they sell at Lowes, because it has wax in it and can cause adherence problems also. When you use it always wear a resperator and make sure you're outside or in a very well vented area. I re-did my boat last month and my wife still complains about the smell!LOL You and your hubby are doing a great job and have the boat that I'm looking to find for my next project. There are alot of great threads on fiberglassing here and plenty of helpful people. Good luck and keep up the good work!