1973 mercruiser 120 HP no spark

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there should be enough contact material left to file and set to verify.

rloucks3

Cadet
Okay I cleaned everything up, getting 12 volts key in on position. Getting 10.5 @ in start position. I do have a spark at the points. Good sign?? I surely hope so.

rloucks3

Cadet
So I bought this boat as a project. Mistake??? The trim motor didn't work, there is 2 wires coming out of the stern where the outdrive connects to the motor. The wires were bare. So I abandoned the old trim and put in the up and down solenoids.

alldodge

Staff member
You could but you said your seeing spark at the points. Seeing spark there means you should see spark at the coil. Take coil wire and put it close to the block to see if it will spark. Of place a spark plug on a plug wire and ground case to block

alldodge

Staff member
There's a spark a little faint.
Might have burned the coil out from all the smoke earlier

I don't normally say this, but since coils are so cheap and we're having issues, might pick one up and change out.

The issue is up thru 1973 the coil did not use a external resistor. Your wiring shows there is no start and run wiring, only run wiring. This means the coil gets full 12V starting or running.

In 1974 motors started using start and run wires. This made the points last longer. So I would suggest getting a external resistor coil and ballast resistor. If it runs shut it down, then install ballast resistor on the run circuit to the coil. Then add a new wire from starter solenoid to the + side of coil

On the other side might go back to full electronic ignition and dump the points. Would suggest Delco EST

But your call

rloucks3

Cadet
I have a 1973 mercruiser with a 120 mercruiser. I put a volt meter on ohms and the red probe where the plug wire goes with key on I get 9.49 ohms, I try to start and I get the same. I have a flame thrower petronics and petronics electronic ignition.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I have a 1973 mercruiser with a 120 mercruiser. I put a volt meter on ohms and the red probe where the plug wire goes with key on I get 9.49 ohms, I try to start and I get the same. I have a flame thrower petronics and petronics electronic ignition.
Did you install that resistor wire?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
When did you add the pertronix? And has it ever run?