1973 Larson Volero Sport 187 rebuild

wvubeerman

Cadet
Hello,

I am new to the boating world and recently obtained a 1973 Larson Volero Sport 187 that was garage kept and only has about 100 hours on the engine. It has not been run in over 8 years so most of the rubber hoses and stuff are dry rotted and things are not moving like they should. I am trying to get the engine up and running so that I can know if totally redoing this boat is worth the time and effort. I am able to diagnosis and fix almost any small engine issues aka lawnmowers and am very handy with tools. I am probably not going to use a lot of the correct words so if I offend it is not my intention. I am looking for a place where I can download or buy the engine books and the owners manuals. I also, want to know if they make those books like auto-mechanics use that show how to fix or replace everything involving this boat and/or engine. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

IMAG0303.jpgIMAG0308.jpgIMAG0309.jpgIMAG0312.jpgIMAG0647.jpg

62cruiserinc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 Larson Volero Sport 187 rebuild

Here is a link to an online Mercruiser Stern Drive Manual. Go to the table of contents at the end and then click on the section you want and it will go there.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf

I'm not sure if it covers your year, but check using the stern drive serial number and the manual.

Steve

62cruiserinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is a site where I got my engine manual. According to the site you need Mercruiser Engine manual #1, which goes to 1973.

http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser1.html

In case the link directly to manual #1 doesn't work, here is their general manual site.

http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

at this link, select "Manuals" at the top and then "Mercruiser" at the side and then pick manual #1 in the moving window in the center.

Steve

62cruiserinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am currently restoring a 1984 Larson with Mercruiser Stern Drive. The Mercury engine and stern drive manuals are very good and similar to car service manuals. The rest of the boat is another story. Usually there are no manuals for the boat and you have to use "general" techniques for boat repair. There are some wiring diagrams floating around that you can use as a guide.

Steve

wvubeerman

Cadet

Thanks for all your replies, I'm thinking this is going to be a lot or work, but I hope it will be worth it. I could not even get the thing to want to crack over so, first thing first is seeing what the starter is going to do. I am hoping that an engine with only 100 hours will not need too much work to get it up and running. The wife is behind me on this, well she was the one that is trying to force me to fix it up and at least she does not mind getting her hands dirty and helping. I will let you guys know how it comes in the coming weeks.

archenemy83

Recruit

i have the same exact boat, i would love to see some pics of the interior. mine is a work in progress but have had it and used it for years and love it!, im new here first post but let me know if you need some help. fyi pull that back seat out unless you like standing on your head to troubleshoot that starter, its so much easier to work on the engine. I have never seen another but like mine till i saw yours and thought i was in the dark lol thats why i registered here!
good luck
clint