1973 Evinrude 85hp opinions

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 9, 2016
Messages
439
I've been looking at a free outboards the last few weeks to replace my 1984 evinrude 70 hp
so far I've looked at a Mariner 90hp
Tommorow I'm going to look at 73' 85hp
Will the controls from my 70hp work with this motor
And are these motors generally good or is there anything I should keep an eye out for
Also are they electric shift?
 

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 9, 2016
Messages
439
So the controls from an '84 motor will work with the red plug?
 

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
15,938
Go with the Mariner...the 85Hp you will have a hard time finding a trim unit for it,thats a small bore block and only powerhead rated...it will have about 70-75Hp at prop depending on condition.May actually hurt your performance as it weighs more than the 70Hp and has about the same HP at prop
 
Top