1973 Evinrude 135hp - Is this an "electric shift" gearcase ?

oldandintheway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
RE: 1973 Evinrude model 135383M

Hi,

My user and service manuals refer to this as a Hydro-Mechanical or hydraulic assist gearcase. And it uses the gear lube to move the shift rod. So is this considered an electric shift motor?

My manual says to use OMC type C. I live in a small town on the Oregon coast and was unable to find OMC type C, but the local Sporting good store sold me Starbrite hypoid 90W gear lub (API MT-1, GL-5, SAE J2360, MIL-L-210SE). Should I use this lube or return it and buy the Type C on the Internet?

Thanks in advance,

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1973 Evinrude 135hp - Is this an "electric shift" gearcase ?

A 1973 is not electric shift. It should use "Hi Vis".

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 Evinrude 135hp - Is this an "electric shift" gearcase ?

The 1973 135hp model is of course not a electric nor a hydro electric shift BUT it is a "shift assist" type lower unit, meaning that it incorporates a oil pump that applies hydraulic pressure to a mechanical plunger of sorts to help with the shifting.

Since a oil pump is incorporated within the shifting process, the unit should be filled with Premium Blend gearlube, also known as Type C.

You can try the 80/90w HiVis gearlube but if you encounter shifting problems, switch to the Type C. Both types of gearlube are available at K-Mart, Wal*Mart, this site no doubt, various marine stores, etc.

What you have (API MT-1, GL-5, SAE J2360, MIL-L-210SE) sound like automotive oil to me, and if so, I suggest you do not use it.

Outboard gearcase lube will have the designation on the label... Outboard, Mechanical Shift, Electric Shift, HiVis, whatever.