1973 50hp Johnson

choat

Cadet
Hi, First id like to say this is a great board!! ok.. Today I bought my first real boat for $800.00 Its a 1980 Dart? <br />With a 50hp johnson model #50esl73p.<br /> The boat is very nice for the price..but I need some info most important is the fuel mixture for the motor..The owner(father of the owner) who knows nothing about it says it start and ran fine a month ago but he could not get it to start for me. It fires up and and dies I think they gas maybe very old..should i take it straight to a motor shop and have a pro look at it or is there a few things i can try? any help is appreciated.<br /> :confused:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1973 50hp Johnson

Welcome to the forum.Yes, you should clean all the old fuel out of the tank,fuel lines,carb and filters. If he tried to start it with stale fuel, you will probably need to clean the carb out too.<br />Do not attempt to start the motor without water suplied to water pump. In other words, make sure the foot is in the water, or you use a set of earmuffs hooked up to a garden hose. If you attempt to start it dry, it will ruin the impeller in the water pump in less than 30seconds.<br />Learn the rules of the road before going out, and try to find an old salt to go out with you to teach you the basics.<br />Here is a link to Coast gaurd Safe Boating Site.... http://www.boatsafe.com/Florida/ <br /><br /><br />Good luck and safe sailing.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

When you get the fuel system cleaned out, run fresh 87 octane gas, 16oz TCW3 oil per 6 gallons = 50:1 ratio. Add a fuel stabilizer if you won't burn the gas within the next couple months.

choat

Cadet

Thanks for the advice..I am using earmuffs as you said and guess what! I got a new fuel tank, fuel line and fresh fuel mixed 50:1 added some stabil and it fires up every time now!! I only let it run for a few seconds because im not sure if the earmuffs supply enough water?? whats the longest I can run it? I ordered the manual for the engine,and I am wondering if I should replace the impeller before I take it out?. is an impeller easy to replace? in my younger days I was good with cars..lol<br /> Thanks <br />Eric<br /> ;)

choat

Cadet

Ok I got brave and installed a water pump kit..every thing came apart nicley with a lil help from the clymer shop manual..(gear oil looked good)..pump went togther nice, but now I cant seem to get my shift rod connected correctly? Shifted really nice before I took it apart. I had it in neutral when I removed the shift rod retaining screw. When I was putting it back togther I could not get the screw back in..So I pulled the unit and set the rod all the way down (forward I belive) set the remote shifter all the way forward and I got it lined up..after that it would do forward and neutral fine but not even close to reverse..any ideas??? Ohh and tips on calming down a wife who could care less about boats would be greatly appreciated :) <br /><br />There is no such thing as a cheap boat<br /> :rolleyes:

rwise

Captain

Flowers, candles, Fine wine.................<br />LOL<br />Have the same thing on mine, had the lower unit resealed and no reverse. I am going to live with it for now the fish are bitting! I will watch your post to see what everone says!<br />Richard

pipestone guy

Seaman Apprentice

Kretzeik,<br />Having taken my lower unit off numerous times I can sympathize with your dilema. Try this. Disconnect the lower shift linkage at the connector Shift the selector forward. Then take the lower shift linkage and pull it up and into the connector. [I found a long needle nose pliers works best to hold it.] Then put the screw in, If the hole lines up the screw should slip right in if not you'll have to play wiht it to get it to line up. Once the screw goes in everything should be a go! try that and let us know.<br />Terry

choat

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. well it turns out that I have probably turned the rod several times without realizing that it adjusts the length of the shift rod Doh! am I going to have to just keep taking off the l/u and turning the rod until it fits normaly in nuetral yikes!!. Any magic words to make this pain go away? (dont say "boat shop") lol :D

choat

Cadet

Terry A,<br /> Thank you<br />The biggest problem I had to overcome was my own doing after thinking about it for a while I decided to turn the shift rod around(180) with the angle going forward(my manual never really showed a clear picture of the rod in place). When I did that and what terry said the screw went right in and shifting went back to normal :) . Didnt get a chance to fire up the motor cuz It started to rain, but will do tomorrow. I also get my prop back from the shop tomorrow. Weather permiting I maybe in the water this weekend.<br /><br /> A lil side note. here in San Antonio we hadnt had rain for almost 3 months until the day I bought my boat. It has rained every day sense my first post. I may be able to start taking my boat to work if it dosent let up around here. :D <br /><br />Thanks Again<br /> Eric