1973 120 electric shift controls

Rayzor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I bought a 73 Sea swirl with the 120 hp stern drive. Its not shifting so I dug in and discovered the switch in the controls is destroyed. Came out in chunks. Anyways, from what I have seen this is not the cheapest switch on the block, so I was thinking about running 3 toggle switches. Mostly to isolate the chance of power both the forward and reverse at same time. Does this seem like a reasonable idea or not. Times are tight here and I cant swing 200 bucks for a switch. Thanks for any input.

Roadrager50

Seaman
Re: 1973 120 electric shift controls

Sure that would work. I would hook lights to the switches so you would know when there is power to one of them. I believe you can get away with just two switches. Remeber the clutches become deenergized when there is no power to them. So use single pole single throw and you should be okay.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

3 toggle switches sounds dangerous.
much better in my opinion:
15-17-2.jpg

Rayzor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, i found a switch just like that for 80 bucks. Probably can swing that to do the job. But wondering why you feel switches are a danger. I planned a three way switch to apply power to a forward or reverse switch, to eliminate powering both.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Just seems better to me to push a lever in the direction you want to go, but as long as everything's clearly labeled, suppose any switch should be ok. As long as it's simple and clear to anyone operating.

Whatever switches you use, make sure they have heavy contacts. When the clutch magnets de-energize during a shift to Neutral, the collapsing magnetic field in the lower unit creates a large potential. This arcing across the opening switch is what kills the original OMC switch. A HD drum switch designed for an electric motor has large arc-resistant contacts that can sometimes be easily cleaned easily with crocus cloth or a bit of steel wool (on some designs).