1972 Ouachita Cap Removal

Hello,

I have a '72 Ouachita bass boat that has waterlogged foam under the floor and now has a weak transom. I plan on doing a complete restoration but cannot determine where the cap separates from the hull. I removed a piece of the trim and this all appears to be one piece (see attached picture). I searched this site and found one individual who did this but he did not explain, how. Any opinions at all would be appreciated.

Attachments

• OuachitaSeam.jpg
    OuachitaSeam.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 0

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1972 Ouachita Cap Removal

Hey David, that's pretty much what my cap/hull joint looks like. I don't have mine off yet but hope to get on it again Monday. I still have some glass to cut under the cap on the inside where it meets the wall. Then I'll take a closer look at the seem as per your pic. I'm thinking it may have some glue or resin between the two pieces but I believe my new tool may separated it without too much trouble or damage. At least we can SEE that part. Charles.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello,

I have a '72 Ouachita bass boat that has waterlogged foam under the floor and now has a weak transom. I plan on doing a complete restoration but cannot determine where the cap separates from the hull. I removed a piece of the trim and this all appears to be one piece (see attached picture). I searched this site and found one individual who did this but he did not explain, how. Any opinions at all would be appreciated.

Hello David and welcome to Iboats :) ..

Your hull/deck joint looks to be a perma bond system..

You could try the ol Sawzall thing.. or use a Fein cutter ( different manufactures are selling these things now ).

Nice to see a boat that is bonded properly :) ..

http://www.tylertool.com/feinfmm250.html

Use the cut blade .. but dont break it :) those things are kinda pricey ..

YD.

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey YD, it doesn't look like Ouchita planned on anyone ever taking the top cap off. BTW: I have the 1974 model. The joint on the outside/topside is bonded together all the way around with something??? and the under-side is glassed together nearly all the way around. I haven't decided on how to cut the glass in the curved areas yet and have already cut thru the cap in two places. What a royal pain! Right now I'm wondering just how to proceed. I've been using the Bosch oscillating Multi X to do the cutting as the sawsall is out of the question. http://www.savannahtoolhouse.com/bomxmuostoki1.html Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. Charles.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hey YD, it doesn't look like Ouchita planned on anyone ever taking the top cap off. Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. Charles.

Yea..um.. I missed something..

David ( the OP ) never really got back to us on that.. you really need to start your own personal thread regarding this.

Bring pics as you should already know :) ..

YD.