1972 Marlin Resto

sYnOnYx

Seaman Apprentice
I bought this boat the other day with hopes of finishing the sellers restoration. Normally I would not take someone else's project but this was too good of a deal to pass up. Owner was moving back to Hawaii. I hope to do enough to get her on the water soon to give it a full run down of how she operates mechanically on the water then this winter strip her down and do a completely new interior and update a lot of things. Has a 4cylinder Mercruiser 120.

The Good:

Hull is good
Transom is good
New floor + Flotation ( seller showed pics of the floor being redone )
Motor and Outrdrive is good working condition ( fires up easy ! )
New gas tank
All gauges except speedo work
All accessories bilge, lights, blower work.
All fluids recently changed
New Impeller

The Bad:
Floor is bare, but prepped for carpet or garage floor paint.
Interior is complete but, faded pretty bad. Usable for now, but will replace all of it soon.
Very Dirty ! needs good cleaning
The hull has primer spots from the owner fixing small gashes in the hull
Hull needs to be prepped and painted
Red Paint is faded bad in some spots, will need re-paint soon.
Trailer is in usable condition, but it is uglyier than sin.

My plan for the next few weeks:

1. Clean interior up and prepare for floor paint
2. Paint floor with garage floor paint (worked great on my last boat !) and put grip strips down in traffic areas
3. Re-install seating
4. Prep hull for paint.
5. Paint hull
6. Get her on the water and test the mechanics out fully !

My plan for the next few months:

1. Fix any mechanical issues and do any preventive maintenance
2. Winterize
3. Pull boat off trailer and do major trailer work
4. Repaint Red painted areas maybe do garage floor paint again ??
5. Completely Re-do interior. All New seats and all new wood for the storage areas
6. Add a swim deck or swim ladder
7. Install a stereo with seperate electrical system & battery
8. Install some rod holders ( boat will also be used for fishing )
9. Update gauges to more modern ones
10. Install courtesy LED lighting

Here's a pic of when I was bringing her home, hope to bring you guys weekly updates.

12345.jpg

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1972 Marlin Resto

Plan sounds okay, but what's up with the exterior? Are the black painted places repairs to the hull?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice hull. I'd recommend against the garage floor coating on the deck. It's meant primarily for indoor concrete so I'd question it's ability to hold up to deck flexing and UV.

sYnOnYx

Seaman Apprentice

Nice hull. I'd recommend against the garage floor coating on the deck. It's meant primarily for indoor concrete so I'd question it's ability to hold up to deck flexing and UV.

After Restoring 2 smaller fishing boats already, I actually HIGHLY recommend it. Those little fiberglass boats flexed quite a bit and nothing ever hurt the finish. It's easy to wash down the deck when done for the day. I added grip strips on top of the finish.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Cool. Some ARE rated for exterior use and would be fine. Some aren't. One of our members actually called up Rustoleum and asked them about using theirs in a boat and they said they would not recommend it for that.

sYnOnYx

Seaman Apprentice

Floor is done, Still have alot of tape left to remove though and grip strips to add in traffic areas !

IMG_20110706_200819.jpg

I should have took a before picture !

sYnOnYx

Seaman Apprentice

Seats going in today and interior touch up, tomorrow hull prep and paint ! Loooooong day tomorrow will be !

sYnOnYx

Seaman Apprentice

Boat was prepped and painted on Saturday, Sorry I didn't grab any pics. It will need one more coat of paint though.

After stripping down the boat seats, realized they need to be replaced asap as they are pretty rotted ! :(

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well you can't be putting ratty seats in that nice new interior!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What kind/MFG of paint did you use on the Deck? How many Coats? Did you Roll/Spray it? Thin or Full Strength?

sYnOnYx

Seaman Apprentice

I used the Behr brand garage floor coating. I did 3 coats. I rolled it on just like the previous boat.

sYnOnYx

Seaman Apprentice

IMG_20110723_131736.jpg

This was after painting it after a few coats. I decided to do the top first, then I will get to the bottom sometime next week.

Makes me realize all the red parts need paint now too.... I'll save that for winter.

Wow, great to find this forum! I just boght this identical boat... 1972 Marlin Jupiter with 120 Mercruiser. It's runs beautifully, but needs plenty of restoration. sYnOnYx, do you have any more updates on your resto?

Attachments

• 1972 Marlin pic from CL cropped.jpg
    1972 Marlin pic from CL cropped.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0

BTW, The pic posted is taken from a print-out of the CL listing. I'll post more pics soon.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You prolly should start your own thread...synonyx has not been around for over a year and prolly won't be back. If you're gunna start a project and want help, you need to start your own thread.

sYnOnYx

Seaman Apprentice

I have some more pics I could post. Sadly I ended up selling the boat to a guy whom wanted it for the motor/outdrive. We were on the lake one day and started taking on water. The previous owner made a bad repair of the hull and it wasn't able to be fixed to be reliable again.