1972 Johnson 85 HP outboard fuel filter location.

Steve1988

Recruit
Can someone help me locate the fuel filter on a 1972 Johnson 85hp outboard? I am new to boats. Thank you.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The cap / cover on the fuel pump should have a screen inside of it.

Steve1988

Recruit
Did you find the screen ?
Yes, I did. I ran into a bigger trouble. I purchased this boat last summer. I didn't winterize it, didn't disconnect the battery cables, didn't fill up the fuel tank and put fuel stabilizer during the winter time. I live in Washington state. This summer, I couldn't start it. The battery was dead. So, I bought a battery charger and charged the battery. And, I was able to start the engine. So, I took it to the puget sound and drove around for 30 minutes. But, I noticed there was no power even at full throttle. So, I came back to the boat launch and put it in idle and the engine stopped. So, I did a research and learned that it could be a dirty fuel filter or a dirty carberuter. So, I put Sea Foam into my gas tank and also bought a fuel filter from Amazon. I asked the seller if it would fit and he said yes. So, I bought it and that's when I posted this thread. I took the fuel pump out and it came apart and lost some parts. So, I bought a new fuel pump and am still waiting for it to arrive. At this point, the boat has no fuel pump and even when I install the new pump, I am not sure if it will start. Another problem is its not peeing. Only mists come out of the holes when running on a muff. I have called almost all local boat mechanics and no one wants to work on an engine that old. Thank you.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When was the water pump impeller last changed? Your motor is probably running like that because its overheating

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I guess that's not the problem then. Something must be plugged if its not pumping water

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When you buy an older boat like that you must install a new impeller !!-----It does NOT have a tell tale and it just mists out of those 2 holes at idle.-----Have you tested the overheat horn ?-----Yes you need to learn the work yourself on these older motors.

Steve1988

Recruit
When you buy an older boat like that you must install a new impeller !!-----It does NOT have a tell tale and it just mists out of those 2 holes at idle.-----Have you tested the overheat horn ?-----Yes you need to learn the work yourself on these older motors.
Yes, the horn works. It went off while on the muff as the water hose was twisted and not enough water flowing into the muff. I used a touch less thermometer(for humans) to check the engine and it: says too hot. But, no idea how hot it was. No alarm going off. I'll change the impeller again if I have to. Just don't know how to do it. Thanks.