1972 Johnson 65hp Tell Tale Installation

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
I've been thinking of putting a tell tale in my old Johnson for some time, but didn't want to take the time to pull the head to do it. While I do realize that some people install the nipple blindly, using grease on the drill and tap to prevent shavings from getting into the cooling system, I have never been comfortable drilling into something that I can't see. I'm also aware of a thread here (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=222677) that provides an OMC service bulletin on moving the nipple location in 3 cylinder motors, but was reluctant to follow it, because it applies to motors of a different year. As it turns out, its a good thing I was not comfortable using this info, because the crankcase on my motor is different.

Instead, I decided to pull the head on my motor. It made sense to do this because I had the powehead off of the motor, while repairing a broken swivel bracket. I chose to install a nipple in the highest point of the water passage in the head, and here is how I did it.

First, I had to find a nipple that was small enough to work in the head. This was somehwat of a challenge because the water passage is only 1/2" deep, and the smallest brass elbow that I could find was too big. The problem was the threaded portion, not the actual nipple. What I ended up using is actually a carburetor part - the nipple is OMC/BRP Part #326467. This idea came from my local OMC/BRP dealer, who also advised me not to follow the service bulletin referenced above.

I opted to place the nipple in an offset position, so that it wouldn't interfere with using the lifting bracket on the motor. I had originally intended to run the water tube down the port side of the motor, but that ended up not working well, due to the location that I chose for the tell tale outlet. Of course, Murphey's law being what it is, I discovered this after installing the nipple. All is well. however, because the installation works just fine.

I used a #7 drill & tap (1/4-20) to drill/thread the hole, after center punching a starting point 5/16" in from the edge of the head. As I mentioned before, the water passage is 1/2" deep, so 1/4" (4/16") is the midpoint, but an extra 16" was need to make sure that the hex head base of the nipple, would be clear of the edge of the head. The nipple was seated with heat resistent thread sealer and a crush washer.

There are other places that a nipple could be installed, including in the crankcase, but I opted to go with the head, because I felt like doing so would be a lot easier to remedy if I made a mistake. Simply put, its much easier to go find another head for this motor than it is to find a usable crankcase, not to mention pulling the thing apart!

I also want to get to the highest point possible to deal with the air pocket issue mentioned in the service bulletin. Once again, that bulletin is for another motor, but the air issue would be expected to be the same. Given that my tell tale now sputters water/air, before issuing a steady stream of water, I think the choice in location was the correct one.

I also used rubber hose from an auto parts store, rather than the refrigerator tubing that some people use. The reason why I did so, is because the hose must make an immediate bend at the nipple, in order to clear the air intake box inside of the motor's cowl. The problem with the refrigerator tube is that it is too stiff, and collapses if you try to bend it too sharply. Frankly, an elbow would have been a better fitting for this job, but as I said before, I couldn't find one small enough. All is OK on this issue, though - the rubber tube works well.

Here are some photos to better illustrate what I did.

_DSC0076.jpg

_DSC0078.jpg

_DSC0080.jpg

_DSC0079.jpg

_DSC0092.jpg

_DSC0096.jpg

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1972 Johnson 65hp Tell Tale Installation

Personally would not use brass as that could cause corrosion of the surrounding alloy esp in salt water. I'd source a plastic fitting. (with an elbow!)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The nipple should go in the water passage on the block or exhaust water cover, not in the head.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I believe that brass is an alloy of zinc and copper, and a very poor choice around aluminum alloy. Bronze is better, but the OMC/BRP NPT nylon insert # 0321886 or Sierra 18-3290 would be better units for this project. If you used all OEM parts including the lower outlet # 0321885, the cost would be about $15.00.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The nipple that I used is an OEM part, which I bought from my local OMC/BRP dealer .. the part number is 326467. As far as I know, it is used in aluminum carburetors.

I used the term brass but it probably is bronze.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

It's not common for carbs to be in contact with water. A brass/bronze nipple in a carb doesn't produce the reaction that brass/bronze does in a water jacket. Especially if the water is something other than freshwater.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

OK, fair enough. I do understand what galvanic corrosion is, but have to weigh that hazard against using a piece of plastic for something that could cause major problems if it broke. Just out of curiosity, what material did OMC use for factory installed nipples used for the pee tubes?

From what I understand, the ratio of the size of the cathode (bronze fitting) to the size of the anode (aluminum head), has a lot to do with that rate of corrosion of the anode. Since the nipple is much smaller than the head, hopefully, the galvanic action will be minimal. The fact that I used a thread sealer and a plastic crush washer under the head of the nipple, might help a little bit too. These things said, however, if I end up keeping the bronze piece, it sounds like I better plan on flushing the motor after each use. I can easily do that, so its not something that I would be likely to ignore.

I'm also still curious about the issue of placing the nipple in the head. I didn't go into the block for a couple of reasons, the first being that there aren't any great places to put one in the crankcase of my motor.

The entire point of the service bulletin that OMC put out, was to insure that the nipple is as high in the water passages as possible. You can't put one in the location referenced in that particular bulletin, because the crankcase on the earlier motors isn't the same - you will not be drilling into a water passage if you use this site. Putting a nipple in the area of the lifting point (crankcase) is also not great, because it is right in the way of that lifting point.

The only other area that I found, was on the starboard side of the engine. In that location, there is quite a bit of area in which there is adequate access to the water passages in the crankcase. The drawback to these points is that you can't get as high as is preferred, and you will end up with a nipple that is behind the ignition system bracket. Putting a nipple in that location would mean that the bracket and the entire ignition system would have to be removed during the initial installation, as well as any time that you need to install a new tube, etc. This is not an easy thing to do, because the bottom bolt on the bracket is hard to get to.

I guess my take on this is that I'll try to find a suitable plastic nipple, but I'm not so sure about the location issue. If there is some disasterous consequence of having the nipple in the head, I'll certainly accept the advice, but the setup seems to be doing its job just fine. It does give me a visible indication of healthy water flow and it does "pee" prior to the thermostat opening.

PS: Just reread Ezeke's post and looked up the elbow that he mentioned. I'll see if my local dealer has one on Friday.

Last edited:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Bronze, or any copper alloy, would be an equally bad choice.

The article in the FAQs shows a brass fitting :(

True about the relative areas but locally corrosion might be high.

Very unlikely that the sealant used will have completely insulated the fitting from the head, but a check with an ohms meter will tell.

The article in the FAQs also says the head is a possible position and there's a photo of one fitted in almost exactly the same position.

Mines a plastic elbow fitting in the exhaust manifold cover. A smaller engine but I thought that was a fairly common location

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my 93 and 2004 have plastic nipples for the tale tell.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I have an idea that your engine could well be remelted into refrigerator handles before that brass fitting gives a problem.

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer

What was the consensus regarding installing the fitting into the head?? Id like to do this on my 68 55hp...

Any final thoughts??

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I have discussed the project with my local OMC/BRP dealer both before the work and since. The owner of the business and the lead mechanic have been working on OMC outboards for about 30 years each. There is also another guy there, who is semi-retired and has about 40 years experience. The consensus was that the installation in the head is just fine. They also felt that the bronze nipple is fine.