1972 Johnson 4 hp vs. 1966 Evinrude 3 hp best option same price

yakesm72

Cadet
Any advice on these would be appreciated. I know about Mercury's but not much on Johnson evinrude.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1972 Johnson 4 hp vs. 1966 Evinrude 3 hp best option same price

Toss up. Both are good motors. I guess if I had to make a choice, I'd go for the '66 3hp as it has a much better rewind mechanism. The side-mount rewind can be finicky.

yakesm72

Cadet

Toss up. Both are good motors. I guess if I had to make a choice, I'd go for the '66 3hp as it has a much better rewind mechanism. The side-mount rewind can be finicky.

Anyone else like to chime in on this one. The Evinrude started on the 2nd pull with good impeller flow and a 2 blade and a 3 blade prop. I am going to look at the johnson in about 30 minutes and have to make a decision.

Thanks
Matt

nwcove

Admiral

id go with the 66 as well.....had some bad experiences with the early 70,s 4hp motors stripping the female driveshaft splines in the crank. ( actually have a 66 johnson 3hp in a barrel right now.....sweet little motor) jmo

yakesm72

Cadet

id go with the 66 as well.....had some bad experiences with the early 70,s 4hp motors stripping the female driveshaft splines in the crank. ( actually have a 66 johnson 3hp in a barrel right now.....sweet little motor) jmo

Just in case anyone is trolling, I went with the evinrude, I couldn't see the impeller flow on the johnson and the evinrude had an auxililary port plumbed in for flow check. Also I was told the Johnson had F/N it was the same as the Evinrude (dock buster). Just got a bad vibe off the Johnson seller and I get an extra prop w/ the evinrude. I might just be a convert yet.

I have another question, can I run an auxillary tank for the '66 Evinrude or do I need to carry a 1 gallon premix gas can?

Thanks
Matt

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I believe that by 1966 they were moulding a boss into the cylinder block on those to accommodate an auxiliary fuel pump. If you take the lower cowling off, there should be a hole with a screw in it with two smaller holes on either side of it. The screw is a plug that you would remove to mount the fuel pump. A new fuel pump can be had at a dealership and you can get the standard Johnrude male fuel fitting there, too. I believe you'd also need a 2-way fuel valve from the tank so that the fuel pump can run independently of the gravity feed, too... Or you could just plug off the gravity feed and run the auxiliary tank exclusively...