1972 johnson 25 hp seahorse shift problems

Tahiti warrior 502

Seaman Apprentice
Hello I just bought this little 14 foot fishing boat with a 72 Johnson 25 hp, it runs great fires right up and goes right into reverse. It also acts like it goes into forward but if its under any load at all it pops into neutral.... I dont know much about these little motors but I tore the bottom end apart and the gears all look good. No major rounding or anything. Is there some way to adjust the shift linkage? Do I need to rebuild the bottom end?? Thanks for any insight!

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
check shift link to make certain both ends of the 2 part shift rods are well inserted in the link holding them together l see access port lower exhaust section ...check shifter on top

Attachments

• shift link.PNG
    shift link.PNG
    4.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 1651409655121.png
    1651409655121.png
    235 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps try another prop.---Hub in the prop might be slipping.-------The notches on the shift rods MUST line up before bolts are put in.----And shift action can be adjusted at the shift lever.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Hello I just bought this little 14 foot fishing boat with a 72 Johnson 25 hp, it runs great fires right up and goes right into reverse. It also acts like it goes into forward but if its under any load at all it pops into neutral.... I dont know much about these little motors but I tore the bottom end apart and the gears all look good. No major rounding or anything. Is there some way to adjust the shift linkage? Do I need to rebuild the bottom end?? Thanks for any insight!
Does "pops into neutral" mean the shifter actually pops back to neutral position? If it does, your clutch dog likely is badly worn out,

Tahiti warrior 502

Seaman Apprentice
Does "pops into neutral" mean the shifter actually pops back to neutral position? If it does, your clutch dog likely is badly worn out,
It mostly feels like it doesnt fully engage
Perhaps try another prop.---Hub in the prop might be slipping.-------The notches on the shift rods MUST line up before bolts are put in.----And shift action can be adjusted at the shift lever.
I will check the linkage and make sure its correct

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Can help to slightly open number 58 (Crosbyman's diagram) with a bladed screwdriver.

Tahiti warrior 502

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys I adjusted the shift linkage and got it to work. Problem is the boat won't go past half throttle under load. It revs up fine out of water but won't even get on plane under load. Starts quick and idles nice... maybe a jet plugged up in carb? Thanks yall

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would say it is running on just 1 cylinder.----Trouble shooting will find the issue.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not saying that it is running on just 1 cylinder.-----But these motors have a dual ignition system.----Very common to lose spark on one side.----And to a novice they sound wonderful running on 1 cylinder.----A wonderful motor that 72 model 25 HP.-----It be 50 years old and with common sense care it could last another 50 years.

Tahiti warrior 502

Seaman Apprentice
I appreciate the insight! I'll check the coils and sparkplugs! I just got new gear oil and water pump installed and got the shift linkage properly adjusted so a couple more tweaks and it will be good as gold.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
old style coils what is the resistance boot to ground values on both plugs wires.

Attachments

• Ignition bugs.PNG
    Ignition bugs.PNG
    340.8 KB · Views: 4

Tahiti warrior 502

Seaman Apprentice
Could this crack in the coil be the reason I'm not getting spark

Attachments

• 20220511_122511.jpg
    20220511_122511.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On more than one occasion have I seen the bottom of those coils burn through.----Spark takes path of least resistance and jumps to ground.----Does not want to jump gap in plug as it takes more effort to do so !