1972 Evinrude 9.5 HP Sportwin - tight armature plate

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Let me start off by saying that this forum is AWESOME!!! I have spent countless hours reading and learning things about outboard motors. I purchased my first outboard about a month ago. As the title of this thread states, it's a 1972 Evinrude 9.5 HP Sportwin. I bought it for $150 from a friend of mine. When I got it, there was a small fuel leak at the fuel pump filter cap, so I fixed that. It ran okay, but being the OCD perfectionist that I am, I wanted it to run perfectly. So I started doing some research on the motor. . .

I have replaced the coils, condensers, and breaker points assemblies. I rebuilt the carburetor with a carb kit. I did a water pump repair kit. I even replaced the top crankshaft seal while I had the armature plate off. I think this is where the problem started.

I noticed when I got the armature plate off that it was pretty oily underneath it, so I suspected the crank seal. I called all around town to marine mechanics to see if anyone had the special tool for removing the seal. None of them did, so I took it to the marina that I had been getting my parts from. (He owed me a favor so he said he would get it out for free.) I was under the impression that he would be using the special tool, but he just went at it with a screwdriver and hammer. He messed with it for a while, and I had to go, so he said he'd get it out for me later. A week later, I finally went to get it because I got tired of waiting for it. When I got it home, I ended up splitting the crankcase to remove the entire top crank bearing with the seal still installed. I replaced the bearing/seal assembly with a new one, because the bearing was not turning freely. I put everything back together, and sealed the crankcase with Permatex 51831 anarobic gasket maker. Now that the crankcase is back together, the armature plate is Very tight on the machined shoulder of the crankcase on which it mounts. It makes the throttle grip very hard to turn. There is no gap between the two crankcase halves, so the only thing I can think that happened is that when the mechanic was trying to get that seal out, he pried against the aluminum shoulder and bent it "out of round". I don't know what to do now. I was thinking of getting some emery cloth and trying to take down the aluminum just enough to get the armature plate turning smoothly.

Sorry this is so wordy, this is my first post, and I kind of wanted to brag about my little project and ask a question in the same post.

Any suggestions on what to do here?

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1972 Evinrude 9.5 HP Sportwin - tight armature plate

Does it look out of round? How tight did you tighten the screws that hold the mag plate, if you overly tighten them then the ring which must be taper side down might be binding up and not moving freely. A little grease on mag support and retaining ring also helps.

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't think it's tight because of the retaining ring. I can barely turn it even before I put in the screws that hold the armature plate to the retaining ring. When I run my finger over the seam where the two crankcase halves meet I can feel a tiny bit of misalignment on one side. It's perfectly smooth on the other side. It's hard to even get the armature plate back on. I was going to try some emery cloth to possibly smooth out the tiny amount that the seam is off. Good idea or not?

Rick.

Captain

I can't see that it would hurt anything using a flat file on it. As said above...Are you certain you didn't install the ring upside down? You wouldn't be the first one to do it. Best of luck. Rick.

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The ring is on correctly. It's hard to get the plate onto the collar that extends up around the crankshaft. I have to work the plate back and forth to get it on. Once it's on, it takes a lot of effort to turn the plate, even before tightening the retaining screws on the ring. I'll try the file and clean it up with emery cloth to keep it smooth. I'm trying to think of some type of tool that will put equal pressure around the collar to maybe gently squeeze it back to shape.

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good news!! The emery cloth worked very well. I tore off a long piece (about 8 inches) and wrapped it around the collar like a shoe shine. I worked it back and forth constantly checking to see if the overlapped part was smooth. Keep in mind, it was only about a couple of thousandths off. The other side was smooth already, but I went around the top of the collar to clean up any burrs or irregularities that were caused by trying to get the seal out. The armature plate now slips on much easier and rotates with much less effort now. Not too loose, but just right. I guess I just needed some moral support from the experts to tell me that it was okay to proceed with this method. Thanks Rick and ultra353.