1972 Evinrude 50hp selectric

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
When motor is NOT RUNNING it will be in forward !!----Oil pressure is used to shift this thing.----With 12 volts applied ( key turned to on ) to neutral solenoid , green wire , oil is directed to shift to neutral.----When 12 volts is applied to green and blue wire it goes into reverse.-----But the motor must be turned as clearly indicated earlier.---That develops oil pressure!----Sorry----To me these hydro electric shift units are very , very simple.
In post 13, you said "Put control in forward.------Turn flywheel with socket and ratchet.----Should shift to neutral after about one turn.--"

dmeckley12

Cadet
Gearcase must be full of oil ( type-C ) for electric shift.---- The shift solenoids are very secretive.----They are inside the gearcase and in the oil.------Find the shift wires going into the lower unit.---You can apply power there to bypass the shift switch and wiring.------It might be wise to get the shift sorted out.----Finding a shop to work on that might be hard and if they will , it will cost lots of beer tokens.
Ok, I had the lower unit off to change the water pump and propeller. I also change the gear oil. There is a green and blue wire that goes with the lower unit. What do I do next?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, my ,mistake in post #13 , control should be in neutral.----After 1 turn the lower unit should be in neutral.-----Typing faster than I was thinking.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Green wire is for the Neutral Solenoid, and the Blue, is Reverse Solenoid, but both actually have to be energized to get Reverse

Check for Continuity between each wire and Ground.
You really need to get the proper Service Manual before you go ripping one of these apart. Yes, if someone has worked on these for years, they probably could work on them Blindfolded, but...
If water doesn't drain out, and the old Oil doesn't look like Irish Creme, the gearcse seals are likely good, replace the Washers on the Drain/Level Screws.
Make sure to use a Type C Oil that is useable in Units with Electrical Components, Some 3rd Party Oils aren't. OMC/BRP markets it as 'Precision Blend.
Once new oil is in, apply power to the Green wire and rotate the Driveshaft, rotated fast enough, the Case should shift into Neutral, applying power to the Blue too, and continued rotating the Driveshaft, should shift it to Reverse