1972 Cobia 15 ft restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

madman960

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1972 Cobia 15 ft restore

Ideally I would attach 1x2 or 1x3 around the inside and outside of the upper hull. Then cap it with some finish lumber all the way around. I saw someone do something similar on a new boat build several months ago. That is where I got the idea. If I can remember what site I was on I will post a link.

Bondo

Staff member

Ideally I would attach 1x2 or 1x3 around the inside and outside of the upper hull. Then cap it with some finish lumber all the way around. I saw someone do something similar on a new boat build several months ago. That is where I got the idea. If I can remember what site I was on I will post a link.

Ayuh,.... Generally speakin', ya gotta Steam the wood to get it to bend around the hull when doin' that,...

madman960

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is where I am now. Next I need to finish cutting out the side flaps and the center stringer remains. There is no wood left in the center that was underneath the floor of the walk through window. Going to install a wood hand rail this week. Hoping to build the front and rear casting decks by mid March. Also decided to build a center console and bench seats on both sides. The drivers seat will be a built in box for a cooler/live well.

I will be on paid leave from Feb 10th until March 30th. Hoping the weather hold out so I can get to work on grinding.

Any hints tips or tricks?

Thanks;

Bill

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

An alternative to Steambending the wood is to use 1/8" strips and Glue laminate several strips of them together together to get the thickness desired. The thin pieces makes it very easy to bend to the contour. It does require a lot of clamps.;)

madman960

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What size outboard do you recommend? I am thinking 25-45 should be sufficient. Was rated for 70 HP previously.

I also forgot to mention there was no flotation foam period. How much foam should I use?

Thank you.

madman960

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks WOG. I will start looking soon.

Hello madman , I my name is Daniel and I recently acquired a 1972 Cobia sanlando boat. I happened on to your post about your boat which I believe is the same as mine and I have been searching for any information that I can find on this boat. Seems to be very little out there. My boat was in the middle of a full restoration when I got it. Everything is done except the seats and interior.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
11 yrs later, not likely to get or reply to your message

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.