1972 125 HP ignition switch

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class
today went out on the boat started right up had fun for about an hour killed the motor ate lunch went to start the boat up the ignition switch had 2 wires come out. I wire tied them up tried to start for a couple times. now i have zero power. What do you think it is? please say the switch.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 125 HP ignition switch

We don't know exactly what switch you have.... terminals on back of switch (how many?), and what they might be marked, or what color wires you may have attached where.

However, I'm assuming you blew the power fuse that is inline on one of the smaller RED wires leading from the starter solenoid.

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It has 5 terminals on the back ( colors red purple and white). I checked the fuse unless there are 2 fuses. The one I checked is by the solenoid.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Red should be the battery voltage wire (12v) and would be attached to the "B" or "BAT" terminal.

White leads to the solenoid and should be attached to the "S" or "SOL" terminal.

Purple leads to anything that 12 volts needs to be applied to only when the key is in the ON or START postition and should be attached to the "A" or "ACC" terminal. If this "A" or "ACC" terminal does not exist, attach the purple wire(s) to the "I" or "IGN" terminal.

You didn't reply and tell me what the terminals were marked on the ignition switch.

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry for that: Red with purple strip goes to (B) white (S) another plain red (A) and a purple and red to ( I ) and there are only 4 terminals.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Okay, a little difference but you got it apparently. if you have voltage to the "B" terminal, run a jumper form it over to the "S" terminal. If that doesn't crank the engine over, either there's a break in that white wire or the safety switch at the engine is engaged (assuming the solenoid and starter are okay).

If that does crank the engine, the ignition switch is faulty.

Safety switch..... ground wire from 3/8" nut terminal on solenoid leads to safety switch. When switch is engaged, solenoid ground is eliminated.

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry for the delay. I am trying to get this boat sold and I have a guy coming to look at it. I know the starter is good but is there away I could bypass everything like the ignition switch and solenoid? To get it started. I know on old trucks you could put a screw driver on the 2 posts on the solenoid and they would start. Is this the same thing?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Small jumper wire from battery cable terminal of the starter solenoid to the small 3/8" nut terminal of the solenoid (not the black ground wire 3/8"nut)...... that'll cause the starter to crank over.

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thank you for all your help. I found that it was a bad ground. I went through all the wires and there she was. Took me about 2 hours but i sure did learn alot today. Thaks again you put me in the right direction.