1971 StarCraft Starchief engine and drive replacement.

Gauvy

Recruit
Hi Folks, I’m looking for some advice on upgrading my motor and drive for my old boat.. I’m located in Sudbury Ontario. I have a 71 StarCraft Starchief with the original 120hp merc. Who/where would the best place to take the boat to get this done? I would probably attempt to do it myself but I just don’t have the time or space. Thanks in advance.
Bri
FF5A085D-1EB7-41F4-BDD4-0AA1CE49AC21.jpeg

airshot

Rear Admiral
Have no idea what might be in your area, but...be prepared to pay some big bucks!! What your asking won't be cheap and the boats value after will not cover the cost....just so you know..

Gauvy

Recruit
Have no idea what might be in your area, but...be prepared to pay some big bucks!! What your asking won't be cheap and the boats value after will not cover the cost....just so you know..
Thanks for the reply, definitely have to consider that. Bought this boat 5yrs ago for 3,500 and I guess my logic is that any other options are going to cost me a lot as well, to get the equivalent in a newer boat or used for that matter of the same size could also be big $$..

briangcc

Commander
You might hold off a bit until that nasty "W" word hits..."winter" (uggh...). A few marinas state side that I've dealt with have mentioned several times over that they deeply discount labor rates in the off months to keep their mechanics gainfully employed. May find something similar North of the border.

I wouldn't be shocked to see you end up with quotes in the 10-20k range for just the power set. Merc advertises rebuilt units at a discount, might be worth inquiring on that. OR....look into the logistics of going across the border to see what stateside marinas will do for you. Might be worth the customs hassle if you can save a few $$$.

airshot

Rear Admiral
You could just drive to the US on a fishing trip, then drop the boat at a place to get your repairs done. Then next spring, drive back and pick it up with the new drive. Tell the border your just comming back from a fishing trip, you already have all the ownership papers, the border folks don't need to know if you had a drive replaced, thus no custom fees.

Gauvy

Recruit
You might hold off a bit until that nasty "W" word hits..."winter" (uggh...). A few marinas state side that I've dealt with have mentioned several times over that they deeply discount labor rates in the off months to keep their mechanics gainfully employed. May find something similar North of the border.

I wouldn't be shocked to see you end up with quotes in the 10-20k range for just the power set. Merc advertises rebuilt units at a discount, might be worth inquiring on that. OR....look into the logistics of going across the border to see what stateside marinas will do for you. Might be worth the customs hassle if you can save a few $$$.
Thanks for the advice ! The plan is to do this next year, yes for sure winter, the motor currently is running well just getting old, also thinking I could look for a boat (90’s to 2000’s age) with a good replacement motor.