1971 Merc 1350 Controls

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 1971 Merc 1350 Controls

I looked at that 90 Merc on the Craigslist (it was in downtown Bremerton so just a short jaunt in the Rollerskate after work).

A total Pile O' Cr*p!!!!! Jumped off the transom when his Idiot friends 'goosed' it, sunk in salt while running, you can imagine what that did to the innards! Froze up, dist and starter froze, lower shock mount cracked, lower unit big crack in it althouth the prop (all mangled) did turn. Maybe a gear set and misc parts but not much there. He wouldn't even take a $50 offer (I figured it was MOST generous), maybe there's a Craigslist Sucker out there somewhere!

BTW the 1350 is a Most Willing Rev-r and will be quite happy to spin up to 6000 with the right prop! But you'd probably want to be kind to the Ol' Gal and not run 'er that hard, you'll find there's an amazing amount of power still available from 5500-5800. 5500 is probably plenty for all but the most Power Crazed!

All I can say it was Very Scary on a 16' Sidewinder with a Stiletto stainless prop. And it still had enough beans to move a 17' Seaswirl Spyder ski boat around when I upgraded. Wish I still had that one, what a sweet rig!

Cheers...........ed

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Scaaty,

Thanks for the advice, Found an Original tach with the wiring harness and connector so i am going to plug it up and see how it goes. Thanks for letting me know what pole setting that I need, i have been looking at Tachs before i found this and that was one of my concernsI know what you mean by Black to ground, Brown to signal/send but what is White to ING? GHowever i do know that the choke button and the wiring in the box is all good

A

Sorry getting back so late..way to much going on... never enough time! On the Tach, there are 3 hook ups on the back. First look for any tach that has a 12 pole setting, and then black to the ground terminal, the white will go to "hot".."+", "ING"..you will figure it out, and brown to the "send".."signal".."S"....

asr2001

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry getting back so late..way to much going on... never enough time! On the Tach, there are 3 hook ups on the back. First look for any tach that has a 12 pole setting, and then black to the ground terminal, the white will go to "hot".."+", "ING"..you will figure it out, and brown to the "send".."signal".."S"....

Thats ok thanks for the words......I found an origianl with the harness so i should be ok just plugging it is...LOL found out why i never noticed that the Tach was missing....Seems that whoever had the boat placed the depth finder right over the hole for the tach and ran the cables thru it. So i moved the finder and now have the perfect and factory sized hole to place the tach....

Is the prop i mentioned...13*15 the best prop for this girl or am I better off with a different size and pitch?

ricksrster

Commander

If that prop gives you the recommended RPM than you are cool. If the RPM are too low go down in pitch. The motor is over-worked. If the RPM are too high go to a higher pitch.

OldMercsRule

Captain

I looked at that 90 Merc on the Craigslist (it was in downtown Bremerton so just a short jaunt in the Rollerskate after work).

A total Pile O' Cr*p!!!!! Jumped off the transom when his Idiot friends 'goosed' it, sunk in salt while running, you can imagine what that did to the innards! Froze up, dist and starter froze, lower shock mount cracked, lower unit big crack in it althouth the prop (all mangled) did turn. Maybe a gear set and misc parts but not much there. He wouldn't even take a $50 offer (I figured it was MOST generous), maybe there's a Craigslist Sucker out there somewhere!

BTW the 1350 is a Most Willing Rev-r and will be quite happy to spin up to 6000 with the right prop! But you'd probably want to be kind to the Ol' Gal and not run 'er that hard, you'll find there's an amazing amount of power still available from 5500-5800. 5500 is probably plenty for all but the most Power Crazed!

All I can say it was Very Scary on a 16' Sidewinder with a Stiletto stainless prop. And it still had enough beans to move a 17' Seaswirl Spyder ski boat around when I upgraded. Wish I still had that one, what a sweet rig!

Cheers...........ed

Hey Ed, Caveat Emptor with Craigs' list. That means: "let the buyer beware". I luv the list, as it is easier then the Little Nickle to follow, and the price to place an ad incourages the listing of lots of old black boat anchors. That said, one needs to always pay attention. JR

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

WOT, (full throttle) is what matters when correctly propping yer boat. Once ya have the right prop, (which I bet you allready have on her), ya can find the "sweet spot" for minimum fuel cornsumption, max engine life

The Prop on her right now says 13*15 and she is a triple blade...looks like the original, can that be????

Well, lets see. ya say a 16 TriHull? It MIGHT be a little on the low side... a 135 on that might need a 19p. Get the tach hooked and let us know the R's at WOT. Know in a second. You say you don't run around at WOT anyway, so my guess is to old girl is loving that easy to spin 17p. My 135 (still breaking it in after total rebuild) is pushing a boat that probably weighs not much more than just your seats (16 foot Flatbottom), and a 19p makes it a rocket, , also have a 13/25p that calms it down ((speed yeah, but love that acceleration of the 19!). Just picked up a 2 blade SS 12/24p cup. Aint had a chance to try it out yet. Got my 20 footer in the water now, getting the 25 footer ready to go in by the 4th July.

Am I the only one that see's a simple prop as SEXY?. Hopefully the hubless will let some on the noise out too..nothing like the bark of a inline at WOT slightly trimmed up!

S5301981.jpg

OldMercsRule

Captain

That does look nasty Scaaty. I have an aluminum two blade but zero stainless. I need to send ya a PM please check yer mail when ya check in. JR

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

That does look nasty Scaaty. I have an aluminum two blade but zero stainless. I need to send ya a PM please check yer mail when ya check in. JR

Got it..reply off...gave ya my email addy. I also sent the request off already to the Guru..we will get ya what ya need...or make it (I got a bucket of fits..Machinist all my life..a way around everything) Robby

asr2001

Seaman Apprentice

Scatty,

That looks BAD!!!!! Once I get the Tach goin I will list the RMP at WOT and then we can go from there, For right now I usually run at about a third throttle and it moves plenty fast for me....

By the way guys, For my resverse problem as far as the engine raced but i did not seem to go anywhere this is what happened today....After I got back in after a day of not so good fishing and being boarded by Marine Patrol to make sure I was all good ( Which I was..Same guy oards me every week and asks me the same questions an he must love to see my Blue thro pillow..Lol)
Anyway back to the issue....
I dropped the lower unit and low and behold I tried to move the Lower unit Control shaft a spline or to to make sure that it aligned since the reverse was an issue since i had the Impeller changed and sure enuff I found neutral and forward but no reverse..I think either it jumped out of the dog being it was never aligned right or it broke but i do not have the tool to get the bolt over the seal off. I spoke to a buddy that repairs outboards for the coast guard and he will bring the tool home on Monday,( Wanted to make a tool to get it off as I really wanted to go out tomm but no sense in possibly turning a 40 dollar job into a whole new lower unit) Does anyone know where I can get a blown up diagram of a Merc 1350 Lower unit??? He knows what he is doin But I would like to have a reference and my manual will never be here in time. Also now I see where the H2O impeller goes and its not as bad as I thought...Any help and all advice would be apreciated guys

Thanks again for everything......

asr2001

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Rick,

I see the diagram and lovin it...Thanks for the help. I wonder if I am looking for the right part though...I need the part under the shift shaft. The part I am looking for Is what i believe is under the shift shaft. right now when i turn the S/S I can find forward and neutral but not reverse. Maybe the dog slipped or somthing but what is the part that i am looking for called. I am looking for the item in the lower unit that defines what gear you are in. Right now i can move the S/ Shaft and fine Forwd and Netrl, But I can feel no other resistance and can not get it into reverse at alll

Sorry for the rampling I just learbed a very Important lesson on outboards...What you think is goin to be easy ( In my case ajust the splines) it very well may take you down a diffrent road and to expect the unexpected
I think I am looking for the lower dog and fork assembly for the lower unit shift shaft...anyone know where I may be able to find these parts...can not see them on any diagrram
Adam

OldMercsRule

Captain

I wonder if you messed up the internals of your control box dry shifting it into reverse while the engine was not running. When the lu is off the motor does it shift into reverse? JR

asr2001

Seaman Apprentice

I wonder if you messed up the internals of your control box dry shifting it into reverse while the engine was not running. When the lu is off the motor does it shift into reverse? JR

I have never dry shifted it yet, ALL I did was drop the lower unit to adjust the splines as it was not fully aligned. When trying to turn the lower shift rod I was trying to find neutral and forward as well as reverse and found forward and neutral but like you guys stated in Recerse it should not be able to spin in either direction ( Reverse)
now that the lower unit is off should I try to use the controller to shift in reverse? Is that what you are asking????

asr2001

Seaman Apprentice
Tach reading

Tach reading

Hi Guys,

Finally found a tach for the 1350 controls box. Actually its the original and got it with the cables and the three prong plug so it goes right into the controller with no hassle. Hopefully i will have the boat on the water this weekend after i get the L/U back on and change her lube.
Will post the numbers for ya'lls advice

Thanks again to everyone for all the help.

Even without Reverse you can still go forward

OldMercsRule

Captain

I have never dry shifted it yet, ALL I did was drop the lower unit to adjust the splines as it was not fully aligned. When trying to turn the lower shift rod I was trying to find neutral and forward as well as reverse and found forward and neutral but like you guys stated in Recerse it should not be able to spin in either direction ( Reverse)
now that the lower unit is off should I try to use the controller to shift in reverse? Is that what you are asking????

If you had a properly set up vintage Merc, that is exactly what I would do to see what is wrong with either the corntrol box or the cables hooked on the engine. Without a reference, I don't think you can tell the way it is supposed to be when you shift yours. JR