1971 johnson 40hp - charging my battery

77kingfisher

Seaman
So with my 77 kingfisher project I got a 71 40hp, and would love to use it but I am concerned about battery charging. I know that there is an alternator option but can't find one reasonable. Belts yes actual alternator no. So im putting the call out asking for advice on how to charge my battery. Im thinking solar or just wait and track down an alternator. So im looking for thoughts am I overlooking a better option or on the right track?

Dose anyone have an alternator by chance?? Send me a pm

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
ITYWF that the charging kit consisted of a DC generator, rather than an alternator. If so you will also need the control box / voltage regulator

Below the diagram, from the parts lists, for the 1972 kit

COLOR][COLOR=

A solar panel, with a suitable controller, may well be the simplest solution

lindy46

Captain
Are you running a lot of accessories? If not, don't worry too much about it. It doesn't take a lot of juice to start a motor. You can probably get by with putting a charger on the battery once a month, or, as suggested, get a small solar charger. I put a solar charger on my pontoon with a 35hp Evinrude and NEVER had to charge the battery all summer long.

77kingfisher

Seaman
Sorry for the delayed reply. Im running depth finder/nav, lights, stereo/radio, and bilge pumps. So im thinking charging woul be good but what kind.. Hmm solar sounds good but its hard to beat a proper gen. So if its soar who has used what and how well did it work?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

This not your exact model, but should give you a pretty good idea what a generator kit consists of:

Attachments

• photo263821.jpg
    photo263821.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263822.jpg
    photo263822.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Depending on where you live, you can often pick up a 40hp Electric shift motor very cheaply. It will have a generator on it. Try to get the voltage regulator with it, because they are $$$.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Would think about separate areas to distribute weight. As you don't have a charging system (yet), probably separate circuits (house battery for pretty much everything but motor starting).

77kingfisher

Seaman
Would think about separate areas to distribute weight. As you don't have a charging system (yet), probably separate circuits (house battery for pretty much everything but motor starting).

Oh yes ok deep cycle or ?? auto grade? Im an auto tech by trade and have several new unused car/truck batteries but no deep cycle. Should I invest in a couple deep cycles?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Should say deep cycle, however if you can get car batteries for little or nothing, that would be fine. Truth is, I've had car batteries in my boat for years (not the same battery, needless to say.)

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Should say deep cycle, however if you can get car batteries for little or nothing, that would be fine. Truth is, I've had car batteries in my boat for years (not the same battery, needless to say.)

That didn't come out quite like what I meant to say. I was trying to say that I've had boats for over 60 years, and until the last few years we didn't have such a bewildering choice of batteries. Car batteries were all there were, and we lived through it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That didn't come out quite like what I meant to say. I was trying to say that I've had boats for over 60 years, and until the last few years we didn't have such a bewildering choice of batteries. Car batteries were all there were, and we lived through it.

77kingfisher

Seaman
Ok so lets say I go with a car battery for the motor and deep cycle for the rest. Give myself a way to connect them if my motor battery dies/gets week. If i put one in the back and one under my drivers seat gas on the opposite side as the rear battery for balance.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like a plan. All you need is a set of jumper cables to make the emergency connection. Or of course you could install a battery switch if you're serious. As for weight distribution, consider if your boat lists to one side from prop torque under a normal load.

77kingfisher

Seaman
Honestly the boat is gutted right down to her bones. Iv never even had her in the water, so im building it the way I want it. And yes im planning on having battery cable hookups but no switch. So now its going to come down to layout and weight. Hhhh drawing my s****ist subject. Oh well any good places to find layout options?