1971 glastron v164 rebuild...attempt#1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chumslinger

Seaman Apprentice
ok folks here goes my attempt at a boat rebuild. i will start by saying i couldnt even begin a project like this without iboats and all the very helpfull members, so in advance i say thank you:)

no on with the basics...the boat is a 1971 glastron v164, has volvo aq130c 4 cyl, 250 outdrive, and loads of problems! a little research on the engine shoes it to be 130 hp should do pretty nice on a 16 footer(i hope)

the engine has a burnt piston, and had the head removed before i bought it for 200 dollars. i figured i can sell the trailer for at least that if i changed my mind about fixing it up, so no loss there..

these are my goals to do

1 rebuild engine..i will go 30 over pistons, all bearings, etc

2 replace transom

3 new upholstry,carpet,top,detail interior

4 all new hoses, wiring, fuel tank fittings, lights,

5 bellows, outdrive inspection, repaint outdrive, replace any bad bearings

6 trailer..lights, wiring, coupler, rollers and bunks

i think that about covers the bulk of what i plan to do...i also plan to take lots of pics to post, as i have not found a single post on this boat.

time to get dirty!!!

chumslinger

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1971 glastron v164 rebuild...attempt#1

ok so now that i have stated my goals, this is what i have done so far..
i have removed the engine, completely dissassembled it, found out it needs c new camshaft:mad: other than needing cam, oversized pistons, valve job, and block work$$$$$$ it looks like it is in good shape.

i have taken the outdrive off, has some rust on the ujoints, but feels real smooth. the rubber insulators on the bell housing adapter look brand new, and the shaft that splines into engine is smooth, and loaded with grease

i have removed ALL the electrical from boat, and i am rewiring everything!!!!not to worry i have diagram for everything, and since the wiring harness is about 10 feet longer than needed, i simply needed to cut back about 4 feet of the sheath to expose perfect condition wire!

i removed the gas tank, PO said it leaked. upon inspection, it turns out it was only leaking from the fittings, and the tank is stainless steel, and shiny still inside, but does need new sending unit for fuel gauge. it is a bow mounted tank, by the way, so i didnt even need to cut the floor..lucky break for me i guess

unbolted everything from transom, got all wires, hoses, fuel filter, blower, out of engine compartment

seats, carpet, dash, side pannels, all taken out

now i said i would post pics, but i have done all these things to decide if i really wanted to go ahead and fix this boat. now i nkow i will go ahead as planned, and start the rebuild. it is going to take me at least a year to finish, so check back every now and then for progress reports

thanks....nate

chumslinger

Seaman Apprentice

today i got the cap all unscrewed, and i was able to slide it forward about 3 feet, now i have lots of room to get transom out. cant find camera, but as soon as i do, i will get some pics posted. i will not do any more on the repairs till i find the camera......stay tuned

chumslinger

Seaman Apprentice

pic0414092jpg-0.jpg

here is my boat im working on
pic0414091jpg-1.jpg

chumslinger

Seaman Apprentice

ok, now that i have gotten everything out of the way, what is the recomended way of removing the old transom? it seems pretty solidly attached to the hull, and i dont want to crack the skin. i was wondering also what is the easiest way of romoving the old drain plug fitting? thanks for any help

Last edited:

chumslinger

Seaman Apprentice

i was cleaning up the shop(lots of parts taking apart a boat), and was looking at a 289 sbf i have and started wondering about swapping that instead of the 4 banger. i figures 225 hp would be easy to get out of the 289, but my concern is the durability of the vp 250 outdrive. what would i need to change over to a 270? would the transom plate work on the larger leg, or would i need that too. i do realize i would need bell housing ,exhaust, cooling, etc ?
should i post this question in i/o forum?

redfury

Commander

Wow, this is way too one sided to let it continue! I must have missed your thread. Glad to see another glastron being worked on!

Engine issues should be posted in the proper forum, the guys that lurk that every day are going to give you the quickest answers, and that is the proper place to ask technical questions anyway.

As far as removing the old transom, it all depends on what kind of access you want. The top on that boat isn't particularly hard to remove and store as you don't have the weight of a bow seating area, and there is no "splashwell" to deal with. I wish mine were that easy, and probably much lighter!

Couple of ways to deal with a transom. You can cut the outer skin and then replace the transom and glass the transom skin back on, which has been done and is done by a lot of shops as it's the easiest access, the quickest and the least labor intensive. If you don't want to lose hull integrity and have to rebuild that, then taking the cap off and removing it from the inside is the ideal way, unless you have enough access through the engine bay to remove it, AND reinstall it the way you want.

chumslinger

Seaman Apprentice

i was able to remove the cap and slide it forward a couble of feet, now i have lots of room, but the transom is very firmly stuck. its not really rotted, but wet and will soon start to rot. i wasnt giong to relace it, but i figured i might as well so i dont have to do it later. at least there isnt carpet and seats in my way. i have been reading a few threads on some glastron rebuilds. i sure like these boats! glad to see someone is interested, so keep an eye on here for updates:)

Rickairmedic

Commander

Red I gotta go with ya on this one hard to believe with all the great minds on this board they have left Chum in here all by himself .

Chum I wont be much helpt to you other than Moral support as I am in the same place first time boat restorer although I am one up on ya I have 2 to restore :D. I figure if You me and Red keep bumping this somebody else who knows what their doing has to see it and pop in :D. Red actually knows what he is doing .

Rick

chumslinger

Seaman Apprentice

i will take all the support i can get thanks guys! who knows maybe when this is done, i can restore my 14' seaswirl p14/40 hp johnson

dobrojockey

Recruit

Chum please tel me you have gotten the transom out? I have a 71' V-166 that is scaring the heck outa me cause I have to replace the deck. The stringers aren't rotten and neither is the transom, but like yours when I drill a pilot hole to test.. well lets just say the wood is moist and dark brown. I wanna see how yours is coming along. Good luck!

jonesg

Admiral

carefully set the depth on a skillsaw and section the transom into squares, use a wonderbar prybar and hammer. bit by bit it will come off.

chumslinger

Seaman Apprentice

well folks i'm sorry to say that i wont be doing this project anymore. since the motor was bad, i knew that i would need a different one, so i put the block and head on craigslist. i gor a call, and the person came and picked up the parts. turns out he has the same boat, and really really wanted mine for parts. now being the kind of person i am, i had to let him take the boat, as it meant much more to him than me. turns out he has a 19 foot 1964 californian minus engine and outdrive etc basically hull and trailer. i sold him the parts, and we traded hulls. i actually like the new boat better, because it looks like it will be a better boat for fishing(what i really wanted boat for). now i am considering different power options, such as transom bracket w/ outboard, or berkley jet with chev v8. i still need to do transom, and deck and stringers, but i think i will be happier with this one. thanks for all your help, and i will certainly post on this new project in a new thread. thanks all!

JimboIndiana

Recruit
I realize this is a really old thread, but I am restoring the same boat (different serial number). Any advice is appreciated

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I realize this is a really old thread, but I am restoring the same boat (different serial number). Any advice is appreciated

Then start a new thread so active members can help you out. None of the posters in this thread visit anymore.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.