1971 ford inboard starting and backfiring problem

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: 1971 ford inboard starting and backfiring problem

The rotor can be pointing anywhere when you installed the distributor as long as the points match up with the #1 cylinder. This isn't specific to Fords I don't believe. The distributor has no way of knowing what cylinder is where, so you just have to give it a starting point and arrange your wires accordingly. It sounds like you have that figured out, but the only thing you left out is whether or not you verified that you are on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke. Being 180-degree out (on the exhaust stroke) will cause backfiring as well. Just put your finger over the spark plug hole while rotating the engine by hand so see what stroke you are on.

The float sticking open is the only reason for all of the gas that I can think of, and the #4 cylinder may just be the easiest way for the gas to flow out of the intake manifold due to the angle the engine sits in the boat.

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

A 302 intake manifold has the bolts 7.5" apart..side to side.

This isn't a REVERSE rotation motor, is it????

rosgood14

Seaman

the model number on the manifold says that its a 302 but the drop like stated earlier from where the distributor sits means its a 351 so you can take you pic as to what i have. im going with a 351 since thats what i was told when i bought it. how would i know if it is a reverse rotation motor. i know the rotor turns ccw.

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

All distributors turn the same direction. Only the distributor drive gear is different.

both engines use the same EXHAUST manifolds, but different intake manifolds.

If the intake manifold bolts are 7.5" +/- apart..it's a 260/289/302.

If the intake manifold bolts are 8.5-9" apart, it's a 351.

A standard rotation engine rotates clockwise when viewed from the front.

johnny470

Cadet

Looks like a 351w eng. from those pics

haulnazz15

Captain

I don't believe there were any reverse rotation 351w were there?

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

Good question Haulz. The reverse rotation cranks have the oil seal hatch marks reversed. Reverse engines used a reverse cam and distributor drive gear. They didn't reverse the pistons.

I really can't tell from the pics the size, and I just went and measured my 302's.