1971 evinrude 9.5

Evinrudej

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I’ve got the carb removed and apart along with a new kit from omc. Is it possible to squirt either carb cleaner or alcohol through the high speed fixture and the inlet needle seat to clean the jets I would rather not remove them if I can to reduce the chances of that becoming a problem

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
So I’ve got the carb removed and apart along with a new kit from omc. Is it possible to squirt either carb cleaner or alcohol through the high speed fixture and the inlet needle seat to clean the jets I would rather not remove them if I can to reduce the chances of that becoming a problem

CAUTION... always wear eye protection to protect eyes and any tinted eyeglasses . carb cleaner can dissolve any protective coatings on eyeglasses

yes.. just unscrew the lower bolt then use the plastic straw against the HS jet inside and the carb clearner solution will blow out the other end ...some use fishing line to clear any crud out of the jet. I use an extremely fine wire so as not damage the jet orifice.

btw when storing the engine you can just unscrew the bolt to drain the carb

don'y mess with the LS chamber for now it needs a special round plastic insert not in the kit...read LEROY's article !

Evinrudej

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I’ll take care of ignition and carb first to atleast narrow it down to something if not one of those. Will be running it tomorrow after a carb rebuild will update soon

Evinrudej

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had just noticed the timer handle only goes to shift and no farther but engine still responds fine not sure what to do about this

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
timer... tiller handle ?

to reach FAST you must be in gear otherwise the interlock blocks the weird linkage in front of the carb

to go lower than shift ....you must rotate the round idle speed adjustment

Attachments

• 9.5 idle.JPG
    9.5 idle.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Evinrudej

Petty Officer 2nd Class
timer... tiller handle ?

to reach FAST you must be in gear otherwise the interlock blocks the weird linkage in front of the carb

to go lower than shift ....you must rotate the round idle speed adjustment
yes lol, I meant tiller sorry for the typo. So you must be in gear for it to reach fast? I noticed without it in gear and the engine off the tiller handle would only go to "shift" and would not engage the carb follower arm which I believe is for the throttle. The throttle does go lower than "shift" it goes all the way down as it should but no higher than the shift position. So if I am correct there is some linkage that prevents the throttle from being engaged fully when it's not in gear? How am i able to rev the engine in neutral. I notice the cam follower moving but not the level and pin

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, must be in gear to open the throttle past a certain point. There is no need to rev the engine very high in neutral. There is linkage that 'governs' the throttle in neutral. It is there to prevent such acts.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
you must read Leroy's article on your motor... .all this is clearly explained both the lower speed idle limiter and the high speed linkageto prevent high rpms at start up are mentioned
Johnson (leeroysramblings.com)
btw careful never force the throttle otherwise you can strip a push rod in the throttle linkage systems if hat happens you will no longer be able to increase rpms

see picture of part in question ... it is the first component of the linkage (slides in and out)

sent you a PM on this site

Attachments

• CAM 9.5hp.JPG
    CAM 9.5hp.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: