1971 chrysler 70hp starter question

Philip0812

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 27, 2005
Messages
5
Hi, I have a 1971 chrysler 70hp that I tried to start yesterday. The starter would turn the motor over the first few times then when I tried it again the "sprocket" on the starter that pops up to turn the engine over didn't go all the way up to turn the engine over. It made a humming noise. Does this mean the starter is going out? The battery was charged when I tried this. Any help is appreciated since I don't know much about outboards. :confused:
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: 1971 chrysler 70hp starter question

The starter may be going out, but could also just need a little cleaning and some wd-40 on the shaft that the sprocket slides up and down on. Just a couple drops will do.<br /><br />Could also be corrosion or loose connections on the battery, starter, or starter relay.<br /><br />Had the same problem with mine last week. Turns out the battery, although "fully charged," would not hold a sufficient charge to start the motor.<br /><br />It started fine with my car battery, so I went and bought a new battery.
 
Top