Philip0812
Recruit
Thread starter- Joined
- Oct 27, 2005
- Messages
- 5
Hi, I am new to boating so please be patient. My 1971 Chrysler 70hp will not shift into reverse. When I try to shift it makes a "grinding" sound like it doesn't want to go in. I changed the lower unit oil when I purchased the boat and found no water or metal. I used the marine oil from Walmart, I think supertech. I have been told by some that if my engine has an electric shift, that the lower unit oil that I used could be the problem. I'm not sure that the engine has an electric shift. If the oil is the problem, can anyone tell me the correct oil to use? I don't want to force it into reverse, I'm afraid it will break. Also, it will shift into forward and it still makes a little grinding sound but once it's in forward it works great. Thanks for any help....Philip